NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A new Messier and some lessons learned

rockystar

The evening started a bit overcast, couldn't really see any stars, the only clear bit of sky was around the moon. But that wasn't going to put me off, the forecast was good for a couple of hours and I could always check out the moon.

So the moon it was - some nice views here, cranked up the magnification to try and get right into some of the craters (7mm + x2 Barlow) I think it was too much as it started looking a bit wavy, not sure if it was the air in scope (could probably have done with a bit more cooling - lesson 1) or the atmosphere. Spent about 20 minutes looking around, trying different mags and different settings on my variable polarising filter). Still a few clouds around, so tried a bit of Luna Photography, nothing special, but got a few event shots.

The clouds had started to clear and Orion always looks so inviting, so over to M42 and see if I can also make out M43.

Everything lined up, m42 in the eyepiece, swap over to a lower powered eyepiece and a uhc filter, and the only cloud remaining n the sky had covered my view.

Next target was m1, as I've never seen this, so got the guide book out to help me find, scanned around, but couldn't see it. I did however find M35, this was a lovely view, lots of stars straight away, I enjoyed looking at this cluster and spent ambit of time here.

Tried again for m1, Do I need a filter to help with this?

It was starting to get cold now, even with 4 layers on, so lesson 2: more clothes.

My homemade dew shield seemed to be working, but my finder was starting to mist up (again), even though I was putting caps back on when not in use. Lesson 3: dew shield required (and made) for finder scope. Lesson 4: right-angle finder required as my back was starting to hurt, especially as the tube was now "upside down".

I did manage to re-find m42 without the finder, happy with that, but it was now getting very cold and my eyepiece start to mist up. Time to pack up. Not massively productive in terms of targets, but it was a fun hour and half.

Lesson 5: I think I need to cellmate my scope. Couldn't quite get sharp focus of aldaberan ( probably not how you spell it), and it started to "comet" off centre and the outward off focus showed the centre, not centred(if that makes sense)

...but my finder was starting to mist up (again), even though I was putting caps back on when not in use.

Thanks Rockystar. Good report and good lessons too. Last night it didn't even occur to me to put the cap back on the finder, and after a hour or so I realised I was working blind. Hopefully doing this will buy me a bit more time before it fogs up and my next session will be all the better for having read your post. Thanks!

Very nice report.

Sicne you've found M35, you can move towards Capella to track down M37, M36, and M38, these open clusters don't get affected by Moon as much as M1.

A simple cheshire is good enough to collimate your scope.

The extra dew shield seemed to work a treat, no mist after 2 hours.

The thermal vest was most welcome, but 3 pairs of socks wasn't enough.

I managed to turn my eq5 mount head into alt-az mode and had a much better experience - angled finder still needed for directly overhead though.

Still needs collimating - just slightly out on the primary I think.

4 new Messiers - 36, 37,38 and 39post-46661-0-23368700-1448262095_thumb.j

Archived