Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Atik 383 bias and dark masters

alcol620

Why don't you all try without darks? I haven't used a single dark frame for years. Instead, I use 50 BIAS-frames sigma-stacked into a master BIAS and flats. That's it.

/per

Not sure if you are a PixInsight user or not Per. I understand that if I dither (which I do) I might not need darks. PI also offers a process called 'Cosmetic Correction' which seems designed to remove hot pixels and cold pixels. If I dither, would I be able to avoid using that process too?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Rob

When you say on the camera window, is this the glass that protects the chip or the chip itself?

Regards

Alec

Yeah, that would be the cover glass - not the chip (I wouldnt dare touch that!), cleaning of the actual chip itself if best left to Atik servicing as they have the tools and clean room for the job.

Hi gnomus

Had another look at my data and it only shows the hot pixels "leaking" to the right on dark subs. Viewing the individual light subs shows the hot pixels as individual pixels, no leakage. Strange!

Do you have the same situation?

Alec

Same as you.  My camera went off to FLO -> Atik yesterday.

It is ready to be returned :smile:

Atik tell us alcol620's secondhand camera, nearly five years old, did have the fault we suspected but gnomus camera, only 4-5 months old, required only readjustment. 

HTH, 
Steve

It is ready to be returned :smile:

Atik tell us alcol620's secondhand camera, nearly five years old, did have the fault we suspected but gnomus camera, only 4-5 months old, required only readjustment. 

HTH, 

Steve

I think I may require some 'readjustment' too. Can Atik help with that?

Are you able to say any more about the nature of the fault and the readjustment that was required?

I think I may require some 'readjustment' too. Can Atik help with that?

Eeeerrr....   :D

Are you able to say any more about the nature of the fault and the readjustment that was required?

I will ask but I might not understand the answer. Over the years we have grown rather good at noticing if/when a camera needs attention but we leave the really clever stuff to Atik. 

Steve

Eeeerrr....   :D

I will ask but I might not understand the answer. Over the years we have grown rather good at noticing if/when a camera needs attention but we leave the really clever stuff to Atik. 

Apparently the camera's 'clock speed' needed adjusting. Please don't ask me how, or why, electronics isn't my thing. 

Steve 

Apparently the camera's 'clock speed' needed adjusting. Please don't ask me how, or why, electronics isn't my thing. 

Steve

Thanks Steve. The camera arrived back with me today - which I think is excellent service from you and from Atik. I'll let you know how I get on.

Steve

This is why we support Atik with such confidence. They have a small team of enthusiastic people working at their service centre in Norwich, here in the UK. That makes a huge difference when it comes to product support. 

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
The camera is on its way back from Atik. For the price of a service the camera has (a) been fully serviced ( B) has a new optic window fitted © had the pixel tails issue fully investigated resulting in the tails reduced to a point where only changing the CCD would improve it further and (d) amendments to the firmware. Subject to taking some images when it arrives, another great job by the Atik service team.

I understand that the dark marks on the image were dust and a small amount of oil from the thermal paste. 

Sorry for not posting sooner Alcol.  Yes I now have a 383 that produces hot pixels with no smearing.  

Plus I should point out that I was extremely impressed with the service I received from both FLO and Atik.  I would have every confidence dealing with both of these firms in the future.  

Hi folks

A further update following the analysis of the darks I took yesterday following return of the camera.

Two sets of subs taken:  30X300s 1x1bin  and 8X600s 1x1bin. Both calibrated with a 100sub bias turned into a superbias with Pixinsight.

I have attached before and after images of the 300s and 600s master dark.

I have stretched then images to show the pixel leakage. The conclusion is that, although not completely cured, there is a marked reduction in the leakage. 

post-36789-0-23526000-1450962366_thumb.j

post-36789-0-42950200-1450962395_thumb.j

Archived