Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ooops. Help required thanks to ham fistedness!

Hi guys,

I had a bit of an issue last night with my CPC 925 which I thought I'd try and resolve. Turns out I've made it infinitely worse by rushing and am now hoping my scope isn't fit for the bin.

Long and short of it, I was trying to remove the feather touch micro focuser on my CPC 925 and forgot about the retaining screw in the end of the shaft. I now have a sheared half screw stuck in the shaft itself and the focuser in two halves ( outer section and gold inner section )

Does anyone know if the shaft can be replaced in these scopes? I've tried to get out the remains of said screw but there's not much to get any purchase on. If anyone happens to be local to Wellingborough , Northants and repairs scopes, please also give me a shout. Just hoping the scope isn't a complete write off :-/

Thanks in advance for any advice/ help

Andrew

I would have suspected that a call to http://sctelescopes.com/

is likely to be your best and simplest option.

People that have used him have all reported excellent service, bit of a drive from you - Tonbridge Kent, and likely if you drove bettr to go via the West bit of the M25, tolls went up and you have to play electronically now. Say drive as I think it is possible to arrange a day, take it down and sit there while it is sorted - asssuming not too difficult.

Thanks guys for all your replies. Perhaps all is not quite lost.

library man, do you happen to have Wayne's contact details at all? I'm going to take this as a lesson not to go into a job half cocked! This all came about from a viewing session last night, I have a William Optics star diagonal which I was using in conjunction with s Celestron reducer. After a good nights viewing I found I was unable to remove the star diagonal or reducer as they had become very tight. Due to the profile of the focuses, I couldn't spin the star diagonal to loosten. Still right this morning, I decided to remove the focuser to give me some room. The rest is history and a painful reminder to check what you're dealing with first! Lack of sleep probably to blame :-)

Thanks again all!

Andrew

Update - after much perseverance and no small amount of luck, offending remains of screw are safely out of the shaft ( ahem...)

David Hinds have been superb in assisting with advice well above and beyond their remit.

Not a lesson I'll forget any time soon, thanks all for the help/ comments

Kind Regards

Andrew

Combination of things really. I saw a video which described how to pass a thing rubber band or thread into the thread of a broken screw using a screwdriver. I did that and had a decent wiggle about. Eventually after about 30 mins of tugging back and forth, I loostened it just a tad. Once it was loose enough, I was able to find a small ridge of material where it had snapped. I used s small pin hammer and the screwdriver to tap it round until it was out enough that I could grab it with my fingernails and screw it out. Hell of a carry on but worth it! Like I said , lesson firmly learned!

Archived