Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Microsoft Lifecam mod housing

jooli_ash

Hello,

I am hoping to undertake the seemingly popular Microsoft lifecam webcam modification using Gary Honis' instructions.

As a complete novice to astrophotography and webcams, I am looking around for suitable housing for the unit, and come across this 1.25" Extension Tube Eyepiece Telescope Mount Adapter for DSLR SLR Camera DC636 on Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-25-Extension-Tube-Eyepiece-Telescope-Mount-Adapter-for-DSLR-SLR-Camera-DC636-/272036397018?hash=item3f56a1ffda:g:UfwAAOSwu-BWOfoo

Will this adaptor be OK for this?  Gary H uses 2 eyepiece extenders and a T ring (not really sure what a T ring is to be honest), but this piece of kit on ebay looks as if it might do the job in one go, although difficult to tell as no dimensions.

Thanks for any help!

Long time ago we did one of these based on the Gary Honis instructions.  I am sure it will fit into the linked ebay item.

I can remember the lifecam coming to bits a bit easier than Gary suggests, an interesting project, but found the software control of the settings difficult - gain/brightness/contrast etc.

We use a T ring to adapt a DSLR camera to a threaded nosepiece (the smaller part of the linked item), the T ring has to suit the camera - Canon, Nikon, most makes, so are sold as separate items.

Thanks Mick,

yes I hope to use the chromebook, although webcam has just arrived today so haven't actually tested it yet.

It's all an experiment, so obviously I am trying to minimise the costs in case it doesn't work out.

I'll try the camera just normally first, and if it works get the above part and try my luck.

If it doesn't work on my chromebook, expect to see the webcam (possibly modified) on ebay soon!

Cheers,

Julian

I think that extension would be way too big for the modded camera.  I fitted mine inside a 25mm Skywatcher eyepiece with all the lenses removed.  The disc that forms the back of the camera (that the cable passes through) wedges into the top of the eyepiece fairly neatly and I found an O-ring that would locate the front end inside the barrel nice and snug.

James

Nice pictures James, looks just like ours - if only I knew where it was  :smiley:     I was thinking the original linked item would work even if a bit large, not a bad price and would easy take a dslr so not a waste of money.

Software James, on a Chromebook ?  any recomends ?

I fitted mine into the body of a very cheap and nasty barlow.

A couple of layers of insulation tape made the lens end a snug fit and a pair of large o-rings around the other end keep it secure.

I drew an up arrow at the wire end with a sharpie which helps me orient it.

I control it using sharpcap, although once in a while it throws a hissy fit.

Thanks James - is that an infra-red filter over the front of the camera?

Cheers,

Julian

Yes, I put an IR filter in front of all my modded colour cameras.  Not just because it's useful to block the IR.  It's also handy for keeping the camera sensor clean.

James

Archived