Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher star discovery 150p

Thanks for the reply!

How easy is it to move it manualy with the directionalkeys? I'm thinking is it possible to starhop with this scope not using GOTO, when I want to find the objects myself?

I'm leaning towards getting this scope now and maybe upgrade to a large dob (10" - 12") in the future. Then it would be a upgrade and I still keep this scope as a "grab and go". If I get a 200p now it would feel strange to buy a smaller scope later, if I want GOTO, without breaking the bank.

150 vs 200 might be a big difference but for me, going from binoculars to 150 is also a big difference, and I hope I will be happy for a while :)

(I'm from Sweden = bad english, sorry ;) )

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I have checked the collimation and it is spot on. As I understand from the supplier the mirror assembly is much better engineered with the mirror held more securely but have not taken the OTA apart to find out. There is a small amount of adjustment using the mirror assembly fixing screws, the secondary is full collimatable.

Due to the poor weather I have only be able to use the scope on a few occasions so not a lot of information to update. Setting up is now a breeze and the goto is always spot on. Been using a 12v power bank for starting cars to power the mount with good results.

Was up 5am Saturday morning with the intention of viewing the planet's but alas high thin cloud cover put that to bed, if not me.

got one myself about  month ago-can't add much to the comments above except that it is a great scope!

As for using the directional keys to move the scope and view objects then t is a doddle due to large keys-designed to be used with gloves! and to be honest to start with I used the manual mode to locate objects rather than the go-to (found it helps to find my way around the sky) and it really was no problem whatsoever.

As for portability,  then again it is fine-just chuck it in the boot of the car and away you go (although with tube, tripod, power pack, EP's etc it does take couple of runs to get it al in the car!)

I haven't tried it with battery's-I just went straight for the power  pack as It takes the worry away from running out of power and with the pack having a red  light on it as a added bonus.

Not taken any photos yet but looking at getting a cheep DSLR but not sure about the weight issue so if anyone ha any experience would be intrested to hear their thoughts

Hi,  i also have this scope...TOTALLY delighted with it apart from the diabolical toy town focuser...a MUST for an upgrade.

When mine arrived the collimation was way out which was a skywatcher error as the cell  on mine was also lightly clued in place so i had to "crack" the seal before i could adjust it.

Once loose the 4 fixing screws were a little strange to get sorted but collmination was very easy despite this.

A post or so back someone stated to get a power pack as batteries wont last !! i only use batteries and i have been observing with mine now for over 20+hrs or so, however, i do tend to

slew it manually and then let the goto find the object if i didnt so minimal slewing saves loads of power....if you let it slew from horizon to horizon then maybe the batteries wont last too long

but for me and my style of observing, a power pack is way down the list of necessities.

As said, the only gripe for me is the horrendous focuser to which i will swap for this one :-

http://agenaastro.com/gso-1-25-reflector-crayford-focuser-single-speed.html

Hope you love it as much as i, its a fantastic scope and well worth its price. I got mine for £344 delivered from 365Astro)

Lee.

Being realistic the Heritage 130p focuser is not great but it holds an eyepeice and focus can be reached. It does, it works it is viable even if not a prefered solution.

I am sure the Star Discovery focuser is the same, it holds an eyepice and focus can be reached. Again viable even if not praised highly. This is a starter telescope with a big mirror and big function for a tidy price.

I think its how they have kept the price down to be fair as the rest of the scope is a real bargain for its cost. Dont get me wrong, the focuser works ok i suppose but it makes this scope

just a great piece of kit rather then an exceptional piece of kit ;) i still love mine, i just know i can improve it for a minimal cost.

I would definitely recommend it still as it has way more good points then just the "workable" focuser :D

Im just picky lol

from my point of view i.e a complete novice! this I my first scope and so I don't have any experience with others however I have found no issue with the focuser, now this is obviously due o lack of experience but I have had nothing but enjoyment from my SW and would still heartily recommend it! have been too busy staring in awe though the ep to notice a iffy focuser and love this scope to bits!!

The point i was making is simply that the focuser lets down the scopes ability to perform to its best, the ep's dont center properly as there is excessive play which also makes collimation tricky

So, the focuser is the Achilles heal for the instrument so to speak, yes its workable and yes you can get to a focus but it inhibits the the scopes true potential ;)

I stilll love mine, but i will love it more when i have a fine solid movement and well collimated set up.

:D

Why not carefully put a strip of black insulating tape up the inside of the focuser tube overlapping the top edge so it wont snag as you put in an eyepeice. One or another strip opposite the first may be enough to take up any slop and centre the eyepeice.  Or if you have it use a bit of flocking material which would be better if you have it.

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

Why not carefully put a strip of black insulating tape up the inside of the focuser tube overlapping the top edge so it wont snag as you put in an eyepeice. One or another strip opposite the first may be enough to take up any slop and centre the eyepeice.  Or if you have it use a bit of flocking material which would be better if you have it.

Thanks Happy-Kat :D

Yer, i could try all sorts of ways of making the focuser behave so to speak but as aeajr mentioned, this would only be a short term fix for me. The scope is worth the extra dosh in my book so rather then make do i simply want

a better quality unit. But those are good ideas for the less picky unlike me ;) lol

The way a see it, i have an upgraded tripod on a upgraded goto mount with a new v4 hand controller, i have great Synta optics at a VERY usable size so i just need the focuser to match these upgrades rather then make do

with a substandard item compared to the rest of the spec.

Its just me i guess, like popeye85 said....it works for him and it works for loads of other people too and if i knew i couldn't get a far better focuser it would do for me as i did say it is workable. :)

Archived