NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DSLR Imaging Setup

JohnSadlerAstro

Hi,

I've been doing loads of research recently, and I've found that I can get all the things that I need for a basic DSLR imaging setup for a total cost of around £130, could you just give any advice/suggestions on the equipment I've chosen, please, as I'm new to Astrophotography?

Here's what I'm thinking of getting:

1.)  'Unmodded' Canon EOS 400d DSLR

2.)  'Power-Up' LCD Digital Timer Shutter Release Remote Control (compatible with all Canon EOS's)

3.)  XCSOURCE T2 Ring for Canon EOS Camera Lens Adapter + 1.25" Telescope Mount

I'm planning to use the DSLR with a Barlow attached, so that's why I'm getting a 1.25" Telescope Mount adapter as well as Camera to T-ring, as I can just slot the camera into the Barlow, and then into the eyepiece barrel. My intended targets are clusters, open and globular, brighter galaxies and, if possible, planetary nebulae. I may get the camera 'modded' in the future so that I can image nebulae better, as well as getting a refractor OTA that will go on my current mount (a motorized EQ2) and will take the cam without having to use a Barlow so that I can image larger diffuse nebulae and open clusters.

My equipment is a Skywatcher Explorer 130 (the 900mm focal length one)--there's not enough inwards focus, hence the Barlow-- on a motorized EQ2 mount. I've mastered the concept of drift alignment, though I'm not quite sure what my current accuracy is--I reckon its enough for exposures of around 30-45 seconds.

JOHN

Not trying to burst your bubble here but I don't think you quite understand what imaging entails as a whole. Though you have selected the right equipment to get your camera attached to your scope you are missing the mark on pretty much everything else. Just a quick note: You will not want to image with a barlow unless you are trying to image the moon or planets ( which you would image with very very short exposures of no more than a second....usually much less). The rest of your intended targets you will not want to image through a barlow with as this doubles your FL as well as doubling your focal speed. This will decrease the max exposure your setup will be able to produce as well as increasing the exposure length needed. Though you have a motorized EQ mount I dont think it will be a smooth enough or accurate enough to take long exposures though I could be wrong. But I think even if you could you'd be maxed at maybe 30 sec...maybe. 900mm FL is still pretty long for imaging. 

I'm not trying to discourage you but I also don't want you to buy all that equipment then find out you can't image to even your minimalist expectations. I really would suggest reading up on what it really takes to get into imaging. Making Every Photon Count is a great starting point and a highly recommended book. It will explain everything a lot better than a couple posts here.

As Julian says above. It is best to decide what your imaging targets are to be and work out the best kit to suit. 900mm with a 2x Barlow is 1800 mm and thus double the f ratio. Too slow and long for all but the brightest of solar system objects.

Archived