Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tracer 10Ah vs 14Ah

Hi All,

Quick question (like my other 20 million ones), how many hours worth of a juice should i expect to get out of a tracer 10Ah vs 14Ah tracer battery. Only looking to power my NEQ6 pro mount with it?

I will only use the tracer battery if i were to take my equipment to an visual observation session.

Bit of a noob question to add on to it, how many devices can i simultaneously connect to this one battery? 

I'll surely be doing astrophotography but mostly will be done from home so most of the future equipment will be running off the mains power and maybe, just maybe some day in future i might hit the road and go on a dark site but that's like a maybe in the very distant future.

Cheers all

i thought you was someone else who has the same avitar, first you need to know how many amps your mount takes then devide by the amp/hr also allow for cold temperatures as this can drain the battery slightly plus the gears on the mount will get stiffer due to the grease

hahahaha yes astronymonkey has the same avatar but then i never knew that he did, just liked it so chose that :D

Faulksy, it's a NEQ6 pro mount, and all what i can find regarding the power supply is Power Supply:12 VDC 2Amp (Tip positive). Not sure what you mean by divide that by amp/hr? 

Do you mean to say that if the mount takes 2Amp then divide that by 10Amp or 14Amp whichever i am looking to go with?

in a perfect world the 2amp mount will drain a 10amp/hr supply in 5 hours. its amp draw/amp hour although in the real world I'd probably say the mount would draw 2-3amps dependent on temperature, usage etc then the temperature will affect the supply and drain slightly faster as it gets colder so personally I'd prob figure to get 3-4 hours from a 10 amp/hr supply.. i might be over or under-estimating the drain though I decided on the 14amp/hr tracer pack for my HEQ5 mount

as said, 2 amps will be when the mount is slewing on both axis at full chat, when in use it will probably use half that. so 1 amp / 10 amp/hr is 10 hrs use. but if you decide on heaters these will drain say another 2 amps for optics/finder/guider and ep. so consider that. i bought the 22amp/hr from flo

Cheers faulksy, totally understood. Like i said I probably won't be using the battery to power my guider or finder for now but might do if I decide to go down the route of joining up some astro club on a weekend special of dark skies astrophotography.

Just out of curiosity, what type of battery do people tend to use when they're on trips such as like I mentioned above?

as i said to be honest the big tracer, it powers full optics heaters my nexus pushto and charges my phone and i get around 15 hrs up to now and its never gone flat, you can also charge it off your car :grin:

Archived