NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher star adventurer or EQ3 pro

Hi All

I am looking for a tracking mount for my Canon 60d for widefield shots. Anyone got experience of these. I intended to get the Star adventurer then thought if I got the EQ3 pro I could also mount my heritage 130p on it for observing.

Cheers

That would be quite a hard choice, if portability is important then the SA would win but the EQ3-2 might offer more options with its slightly better load capacity.

I only have the single axis motor on mine but it can run off a cheap 5v power bank and has no problems doing 2min subs at 330mm FL the pro goto version is much more capable.

Price wise they are close once you factor in a £100 tripod for the SA.

Alan

for observation, I'd rather keep the heritage on a dob mount as opposed to an eq. also, whilst the camera is doing its thing on which ever mount you get, youve got the dob for visual :).....win win 

I have SW SA and use it with 60Da and up to 300mm lens, quick to set up, no guiding needed and runs for ever on a set of AA batteries, it can easily do 10min  subs with a wide angle lens.

I took this image the other night just to test the tracking, slightly eggy stars if you zoom in but it was a 17 minute exposure.

Dave.

post-21198-0-35423800-1445616407_thumb.p

Archived