Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New here with Nikon D5000. Problem with DSS

Hey there,

I'm new here and really only signed up because I couldn't find anyone else having the same problem as me :(

I went out and took some pics tonight with the intention of using Deep Sky Stacker for the first time with my own images (I have used someone elses images of M42 before and it worked fine). However when I downloaded them to my machine they wouldn't import into DSS...

I am using a Nikon D5000 and shooting in RAW format but when I select them to import to DSS nothing is happening. I thought it may be because I have just upgraded to Win 10 but tried loading the previous files I downloaded from the interwebs and they still worked fine...

I'm at a bit of a loss here so not too sure what to do.

I would attach a light image here but they are all too large so here is a link to it. Please excuse the poor quality, this is the first time I have tried to capture the sky without a telescope so I didn't get it quite right...

Here is the image

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Oh and let me know if you need any more information about my settings etc and I'll gladly provide them :)

Thanks

Simon

I have updated to 3.3.4 and still no joy. I have also tried converting the images to TIFF and they still don't import :(

It's very strange! As I said I have imported other peoples files and they work fine but my own ones are a no go... I'm wondering if it is something to do with the settings on my camera that isn't letting me import them...

When you say it won't import what do you mean? Does it not show up in the file list? Or does it crash or cause an error when you try to import them?

/Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anyone else got any ideas that can help me here...? I tried loading in some older photos from my camera and they worked fine... So really not sure what is going on! Unfortunately the Meat data doesn't show enough info to see what differences there are on the old pics compared to the new ones :(

Hi Simon,

You say you have recently updated to Windows 10... have you also updated your Nikon NX/transfer software... I think you need to now use the lates version NX2/Transfer 2... and possibly latest camera drivers for W10.

I believe your problem may be that the EXIF data embeded in your Raw images is unreadable, or being corrupted somehow if using the original NX/transfer software.

You should be able to download the update files direct from the Nikon website for free (you may need to input your camera serial number).

I use a Nikon D90 and I had a similar problem when I changed from XP 32bit to W7 64bit.

http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/22/D5000.html

DSS won't load or recognise any files which have damaged/corrupt exif data.

I hope you get it all solved soon.

Best regards.

Sandy. :grin:

It w`s the permissions! :)

I just copied the files to another folder and they are working fine now thanks for the advice. :)

I have never used the nikon transfer software so that is not the issue but thanks for the tips.

Right, time to get stacking ;)

I did read your text and have been searching ( D5000 owner ) but it seems a solution has been found already and that its working well for you know.

What I was going to ask/add was are you transferring direct from the camera via software/usb,  some articles I  read suggested taking the memory card out of the camera and using a separate card reader or the one built into your PC as most have them these days? That seemed to fix a lot of transfer issues for some folk.

Archived