Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Getting started with LRGB

VilleM

I just bought modded Nikon D5100 (mono) and I did some search on the LRGB filters, most of them seem to be around 300 euros. However ZWO filter set was only 82 euros, are they any good?

Also, should I jump straight to narrowband imaging or start with LRGB? What are the main diffrences? I dont have a problem with light pollution, only with clouds and the moon of course.

-V

I bought a ccd a while back and armed myself with LRGB and NB filters. to be honest, the lrgb don't see much light. when clear nights are so infrequent, I'm not going to miss out because the moons about. At the moment, Im trying to get as much Oiii as possible when the moons not around and Ha when it is. of course NB filters are quite a bit more than LRGB. If I could only by one filter it'd have to be the ha.

Basically there are two classes of LRGB filters: coloured glass or dielectric (sometimes called dichroic). The former are cheaper than the latter. The latter have better transmission, and crisper passbands. I use (fairly cheap) dielectric filters for planetary, and they seem to work well enough there. Not sure about the ZWO filters, however.

Aha, thanks!

Judging by the price I don't think they are optolong. They should be of a local brand known as "Seven". 

In overseas market they are marketed as ZWO. 

They are entry level, affordable and of reasonable quality as far as I know.

Hope that helps

Mia

They are entry level, affordable and of reasonable quality as far as I know.

Do you think these would suit for Deep Sky imaging aswell? The price is really tempting.

Also, can you mix Ha and LRGB together? Is luminance just replaced with Ha? Sorry for so many questions, but I am a total newbie in this. :)

Do you think these would suit for Deep Sky imaging aswell? The price is really tempting.

Also, can you mix Ha and LRGB together? Is luminance just replaced with Ha? Sorry for so many questions, but I am a total newbie in this. :)

I have not used them myself but they are marketed as suitable for use with CCD cameras for DSOs and I've seen people use them. Obviously you won't expect anything extraordinary but they are, as I said, of reasonable quality. 

But because they are relatively low-end products, you may find them not as popular as other well-known brands in 2nd market when you decide to upgrade. 

You can mix Ha with LRGB believe. Some people replace L with Ha; alternatively you can combine L with Ha at different levels. I'm no expert but I've read tutorials about it :)

Mia

Archived