Moon 10/16

boxtko

Took this pic of the moon last night. First time I ever stacked pictures of the moon. Think I went too heavy on the whites in post processing. Nikon D3100 ISO 100  Exposure 1/125 sec,   Celestron Nexstar 102GT, PIPP, AutoStakkert (about 40 frames), Adobe Lightroom.  (BTW, this is the first time I ever tried taking pictures with the 102GT. Because there is no weight, I found it difficult to attach the DSLR. I got around this by removing the Diaganol and attaching the camera directly with the t-adapter. I also took a 3 pound ankle weight for exercising and wrapped the straps around the front of the telescope (the straps attach to each other with Velcro and the weifght is cushioned.) lol.  Hey-- it worked.

post-47098-0-08704100-1445118073_thumb.j

great start mate ,Crescents can be tricky with the light, but i like it ,well done.   registax is a good staxing program, its free to download if you want to give it a try, works well with moon shots aswell as everything else.  thanks for sharing  charl.

Thanks everyone.  Tonight I tried again, but this time I attempted to get a picture of both the moon and shadow.  I just started learning how to use layers in photoshop and this is what I came up with... I stacked about 10 pictures 100 ISO 1/125 using autostakkert. In photoshop I added an overexposed layer (ISO 3200, 1/5 sec).

post-47098-0-81034800-1445225766_thumb.j

oops. just realized I didn't stack the moon pic above. It is simpy two pictures I layered in photoshop. ISO 100/125 and ISO 3200 1/5.  (I was stacking pics without the shadow but didn't use those for this pic. I dont know how to edit my posts. lol) 

Hi Boxtko. I also have the D3100 and I'm curiuous to know what you think of the Nikons sensor?

I've done a few imaging sessions on the moon, the latest tonight and I'm finding that mine just doesn't seem to take clear images at full resolution and I need to resize the photos down to less than 1mp in size before it starts to look half decent and then do a bit of processing.

I'm not sure if it's my camera or just the Nikon sensor itself.

Archived