NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What Focuser is a good replacement for a Skywatcher stock focuser

I recently fitted the Skywatcher dual speed to my 250P and I'm delighted with it. At a little over £100 I thought pretty good vfm. I did toy with the idea on a Moonlite one but I don't spend much time focusing so quite happy.

I'm assuming you are talking focus units and not finder scopes. If that's what you're after, I've changed my finder to the 9x50 with right angle prism and I've added a telrad too .... Best of both worlds imho. Happy viewing

A Telrad once you use it you won't want to look through a Finder Scope again, Fitting the Moonlite is undo the 4 screws that hold the SW Focuser on the tube, screw the Moonlite base to the tube with 4 screws then attach the Moonlite you have a choice of 2 spacers and a sections of stainless steel allen screws to attach any combination, just keep the tube level while doing this so nothing can drop on to the mirror......

+1 for the Moonlight and the Telrad. I'm a bit confused by your first two posts but if you are looking to upgrade the focuser and the finder I would recommend these as excellent options.

I bought the Skywatcher low-profile focuser for a Skywatcher Flextube 300P a year or so ago and could not achieve focus so sent it back. It was also quite wobbly. The Moonlite is absolutely excellent and worth the money in my view.

I like the Telrad on Dobs but another option is the Rigel Quickfinder. It is about the same price, does the same job but is about a quarter of the size. I have both and use the Telrad on my Dob and CPC1100 and the Rigel on my Refractors.

Lots of helpful replays coming in, the telrad seems to get good reviews but looking on First Lights web site there is a few others William Optics Multi-Reticule Finder omong others but which one is the easiest to use is it the Telrad?

Regards the Skywatchers dual speed focuser it is a low profile one, will this effect eye pieces or will it need an extension tube?

I wouldn't buy that - far too much slop in the draw tube and as far as I can remember that is due to the use of plastic parts. And, yes, you would need extension tubes for visual use which means it isn't as cheap as it seems.

Lots of helpful replays coming in, the telrad seems to get good reviews but looking on First Lights web site there is a few others William Optics Multi-Reticule Finder omong others but which one is the easiest to use is it the Telrad?

If you have Stellarium fire it up and turn on the Telrad Circles, this what you see when you look though at the night sky, 3 circles makes identifying and star hopping very easy as you keep both eye's open......

http://www.stellarium.org/

The only fiddly thing with fitting a Moonlite is the base plate that mounts to the tube has a large number of holes in it to accommodate all possible fitting options for Skywatcher and other scopes.  Getting the right set of holes to use for the screws is a little tricky - its not hard its just a bit fiddly.  Just make sure you put the screws in the right holes and be careful when you screw it down because if you have picked the wrong holes the base unit will appear to fit while the screws are loose but as you tighten them up you can pinch the tube.

Its not hard  - you just need to take a bit of care.

Also if you are typically using large heavy eyepieces Moonlite will fit some bigger springs into the 10:1 reduction gear which will make using heavy eyepieces a bit smoother. It makes light ones slightly tighter but not so much as you would really notice.

I had quite an old Moonlite that would slip with very heavy eyepieces.  Moonlite retrofitted bigger springs for just the cost of shipping which was good of them.

Archived