Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

transporting 8" dobsonian

asset189

I've found a new semi dark site at the edge of town. Problem is that it's some 500m away from the road along a tarred footpath. My 8" Dob weighs around 30kg , how best to get it there? Even splitting it I do not fancy lugging two 15kg parts 500m up hill. Though of a sack barrow but I Afraid I'd rattle the mirror loose. Any ideas? How do you transport yours?

For where the tube is concerned perhaps you could attach some form of webbing for making two carry handles. I think though that it might require a good dose of determination and if necessary pause a couple of times en-route to the top, reminding yourself that it will be worth it. You may find that after you have done it once it becomes a little easier setting the pace so to speak. Anyhow no need to sign up for a gym.

I sometimes carry my 8" dob in two parts / journeys to my allotment site which is a few minutes brisk walk.  I have the OOUK version and carry the tube by the trunnion rings for balance and the dob mount isn't too much of a problem, no hills though. I expect will at least be easier coming down.

Some kind of sack trolley?

Pneumatic tyres would be better, but if the path is tarmac then it shouldn't be too much of an issue. :)

Pneumatic tyres are a must and pump them up VERY soft  but not too soft for shock absorption

and the job should be a good'un 

Clear Skies         Robin

Archived