NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Binocular specifications

Lusitano

I respect everyone's comment on any topic, but honestly, each time a new pair of powerful binoculars enter a topic there is always someone or various users replying on the need of a tripod instead of debating the specs of the binoculars them selves.

I find it quite frustrating, I' m on a process of buying a decent pair of binoculars and now I know more about tripods then the binoculars them selves...this happens with every astronomical binocular topic.

Sincerely if one uses a binocular for astronomical observation it is quite obvious you should need a tripod even by using a simple 8x42 you will always be observing very small dots on a black background and on top of it they appear magnified! In order to make up what these white dots are all about it's logical you will need more concentration and stability for serious observation that means the extreme importance of having a tripod.

Don't get me wrong...you obviously can use a binocular without a tripod for a glance to align your telescope or just as an amateur.

I have put together a P8079HP cascade tube. This is a powerful image intensifier (night vision) scope.

I use a simple 50mm / 1:4 lens with no magnification, this unit just intensifies the perception of the image in the human eye by 100.000 times. I see stars that you could never see with any binocular just because of the intensified light that the unit produces. I can't even imagine what I could be able to see with a 200mm lens and a 2x magnification adapter that would transform 200 into 400...

Why am I telling you this? Because even now with no magnification at all I need a tripod, first because of the units weight and secondly I can see hundreds of stars on the background of the most visible stars but if I use a tripod I get to see thousands.

So I strongly advise everyone to use a tripod with ANY KIND of instrument that regards astronomical exploration for better results.

People are buying binoculars that are more powerful then your local store telescope so why should you even thing of advising to buy a tripod...it is very obvious and logical.

I really do appreciate the opinions and experience of all users of this forum, I'm just trying to say that using a tripod for astronomical observation is quite obvious if you wish for better results of what you're viewing but I wish that every time a new pair of binoculars gets out on the market that someone could actually post images that could determine the quality of the product for comparison instead of reading more about tripods...

Thanks for the post Lusitano.

I don't use a tripod with my binoculars, if I'm getting a tripod out I will use a scope.

But then, I'm just an amateur at this [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji12]

I have a pair of Vivitar 8 - 20 X 50mm binoculars I bought back in 1996. I forget the cost back then, but they weren't advertised as 'Astro' anything so the price wasn't waaaaaaaay inflated. Everything I've ever heard from "experts" on Vivitar and/or the word 'zoom' & binoculars has been indicating I should let the next train run over them. And, of course, I'll need a tripod. Never one to play "Follow-The-Leader," I've ignored both.

Well I've finally broken down. I've got a binocular-adapter on order, and I have a decent tripod kicking about already I usually use for a HD-monitor. So for any extended tours of star-clusters, I'll finally 'Pod' my Vivitars - and I very much like the optical quality of these binos. So the train will have to find something else to pulverize. However I hope that train has had it's fill for the time being. Some rocks rolled down the hills it goes by, and the train hit them and derailed. 7 passengers got hurt - but no fatalities or serious injuries thankfully.

All in all, up to about 12X, I don't need a tripod or stationary object to rest binoculars on. My many years in a chemistry-lab working with extremely hazardous substances has given me very steady hands, rather than a personal tour of the ionosphere.

Whatever works for you - have fun!

Dave

Nothing much beats a binocular for fuss free sweeping across the sky with a wide field of view. But, and here's where I agree with the OP, to examine the view in detail all binoculars (other than Vixen 2.1x42 and similar)  benefit from some sort of hands free mounting. Try counting the stars of the Pleiades or the doubles in M44 hand held!

After years of getting round to it I've finally made myself one of those gizmos that use a fixed binocular fed by an adjustable flat first surface mirror, It's quite a substantial one and supports a 20x102 binocular made from two Skywatcher F5 refractors. The hands free , rock steady and easily accessible overhead views from a seated position are a revelation.   :smiley: 

Archived