Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A question about Maks

Many Many thanks to the members that have given me information regarding mak's after much thought i feel that a Mak is not going to be the answer for me and i will look again so thanks again and i will no longer add to this thread as i feel it has served its cause and wandered of topic now.

Mick.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many Many thanks to the members that have given me information regarding mak's after much thought i feel that a Mak is not going to be the answer for me and i will look again so thanks again and i will no longer add to this thread as i feel it has served its cause and wandered of topic now.

oh what a shame i was enjoying the wonderful world of ajohn and his starformations which are unnamed, maybe we could start a thread 'make your own constellations up '

and we could all guess where in the sky they are!

maybe we could move onto the planets,uranus becomes your Bottom etc etc nevermind

only joking

Hi Lunator

Ive not decided yet i will be looking at something of a shortish tube length my main intrest is lunar/planets i was going to get a Tal 100rs but this will be to long for me to sit with due to health issues and a reflector is no good as i have to observe sitting down.

ive had a Mak on loan and it is not my cup of tea i get on ok with my ZS66 so i might have to compromise at the moment and get something in between i do like the WO equipment and the Megrez 90 seems a good size for me but it is a bit expensive and also the Skywatcher ED80 stands the test of time so not sure i will have a good think over the next few months before the winter season sets in.

Mick.

Roberte 76 this quote looks like it has come from my lips and i wish you would edit this trash as even though Ajohn has his views on this subject that others may have questions over this is reflecting towards me so please remove via the edit option or can a member of the Admin team clean up this so called quote.

Thank you.

Thank you Ant.

Lunator i am afraid i don't belong to a society so i wont be able to do this i see the FLO have reduced the ED80 so i might be tempted with that as the Megrez is just to high in price i will have a bit of a think.

Mick

I think that whatever you end up with, you'll get good views of the moon Mik. Its that kind of target, big craters and little ones all set out to suit whatever you are using. I find that doing a full disc image with a DSLR is as much fun as webcamming (well trying to!) a little rille at the end of the day.

I hope that what you get suits you, and I can recommend the ED80 for snapping away with a Nikon.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Mik

I don't have an ED80 but I know many people who think they are great and some who have sold them and have regretted it. On that basis I would say it would be a sound choice.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks i agree the ED80 i feel is the way to go bit skint at the moment but i am sure they wont fall off the face of the earth.

KK i have a Nikon d60 so i will give that a go on the Moon as suggested and have a go at planets with my SPC900 webcam hope to get the setup final by Xmas this includes laptop as well.

Cheers Mick.

Mik

I don't have an ED80 but I know many people who think they are great and some who have sold them and have regretted it. On that basis I would say it would be a sound choice.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Mick,

I agree with Ian,

I've owned 3 ED80's over the years and they are really excellent and versatile scopes - especially considering the price drop that FLO has just told us about :shocked:

I bought all mine 2nd hand and had no trouble at all with them - with the price drop new you might be able to pick up a used one for £150 or even less, soon.

John

Hi John the ED80 sure looks like the way to go at the moment i hope i can get this sorted by end of year i also need to get a decent set of eyepieces in a couple of months time i will have £1000 to spend but i have to get drives for the mount/some eyepieces and a laptop as well ive sold my 4mm UWAN as i was skint so am only left with a 20mm Swan at the moment i also managed to get £100 for my XLT150 ota as i only purchased this for the mount and a reflector is not good for my back.

I am looking into getting TV plossles at the moment x 2.5 powermate.

Thanks Mick

• 2 weeks later...

Just on why go to is a boon and "constellations".

In south b'ham a couple of miles from the city center it's much easier to find things - some can't even be seen when they are "found". In pembrokeshire where the skies are much much darker it helps there too.

On the "constellations" skies again can make a big difference. Many might find it an interesting exercise to adjust the visible magnitude of a pc based planetarium to match the sky that they can see. In extreme cases like B'ham many of the traditional constellations don't make much sense any more so I just pick star patterns that I can recognize. It so happens that terms big and little dipper are used in certain circles so that's the way I think of those 2.

But as mik said this is all off topic.

Mik on your powermate it might pay to work out a set of eyepieces and a 4x powermate rather than the 2.5. Mine came my way when I sold an 8ins sct some time ago. It's the 2ins one. It hasn't seen much use but looks to be an excellent choice to use with the f6 megrez so I'm glad I just kept it. This is just a thought as you will need to work out the series of eyepieces needed to go with it. You may find it completely avoids the need for short focus eyepieces. That's where the going gets tough and expensive on faster scopes. My only worry is color and imaging but have reason to believe that this will not be a problem.

John

Archived