Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Three nights in a row!

kev100

Hello all!

It was only at the weekend that I was having a moan about not having been out observing in weeks (since the 22nd of September, in fact, and that was a half hour binocular session with a very bright first quarter moon washing out pretty much everything!). This week, though, with Clear Outside promising clear skies (and a new moon), I was determined to make the best of it (despite work and family commitments). 

Monday

I got a text from my wife on Monday afternoon asking if I would do a talk/observing session with a local scout group that evening. I agreed, of course, and was all set up outside the scout hut by about 7, just as the stars were starting to appear. My talk and Q&A took just over half an hour or so, during which I tried to convey the scale of astronomical distances (starting with millions of miles, astronomical units, then light years), leading the kids to imagine that seeing anything across such distances would be almost impossible, and then bringing them back round again to describing what can be seen with the naked eye (Andromeda 2.5 million LY), other galaxies with binoculars (M81 & 82 13 million LY), etc. Then it was out to the nicely cooled dob to have a look-see. With not much time, and 10 kids plus scout leaders to deal with, views were limited to Andromeda (plus M32 & 110), the Owl nebula, Albireo and the Ring nebula, all of which, however, brought forth gasps and ‘wows’ from all concerned. Absolutely top evening!

Tuesday

Despite an unpromising and cloudy start, I set up at about 8.30 and waited for the clouds to clear. First star to appear was Diphda in Cetus (fairly low in the southeast). A quick glance at Stellarium on the phone and I was on the hunt for C62 (mag 9.9 galaxy) and C56 (the Skull nebula, mag 11.8). Unsurprisingly, given the atmospheric murk I had no luck with either. 

When the rest of the sky eventually cleared I started with the Pleiades (very sparkly, and a hint of nebulosity), then M34 (Spiral cluster) and Almaak (splitting nicely at x75 in the 16mm MaxVision). Next up a couple of firsts for me: C23 (edge on spiral galaxy) and C28 (open cluster) in Andromeda. Caught a hint of the dust band in C23 using averted vision.

The Andromeda galaxy itself (plus M32 & 110) was amazing in the 24mm MaxVision, with a clear dark band and the outer edges of the galaxy extending beyond the FOV (probably the best view of the galaxy I’ve ever had!)

With the clouds building up again in the south and east, I turned my attention northwards and took in M82 & 82. Definite detail and structure in the Cigar galaxy, and Bodes was very bright, wth a clear hint of structure. A quick glance at Stellarium to see what else was in the vicinity and I found myself intrigued by Coddington’s nebula (mag 10.6 galaxy) – no luck though.

Wednesday

Much better and clearer start, with the Milky Way and Cygnus Rift visible overhead at 9pm. Started off again on trying to find C62 and C56 in Cetus. Although higher in the sky, and less murky, I had no luck. Swinging right and up, though, brought me to a very sparkly M15. I pushed this to x200 in the William Optic 6mm and resolved stars almost to the core.

I swung round to Andromeda and had another look at C23 & 28, both clearer and brighter than the night before, and I also had a look at Mirach’s ghost; very bright.

Dropping down to Triangulum, and M33 was brighter than I’ve ever seen it, with subtle hints of structure in averted vision. Fantastic!

Left to Perseus on the hunt for the elusive Perseus A (11.6 mag galaxy). No luck (I fear it may be beyond the capabilities of my scope/eyes). Did pick up a couple of lovely open clusters there, though: IC 343 and NGC 1342.

Up to Auriga and Ms 36, 37 & 38. All lovely and sparkly at x50 in the 24mm MaxVision (this was the most used EP this week!). Also picked up open clusters NGC 1907 and NGC 1778.

Finally back to Ursa Major for a longer look at M82 & M82. Better than the night before, again definite structure in the galaxies, and I even spotted NGC 3077 (mag 9.9 galaxy – bright, but small and no detail). Another look for Coddington’s nebula, but again, no luck.

A fantastic few nights!

Kev.

Three in a row for me too (nearly). I set up the scope outside for the last three nights. Didn't see a single star!

Night 1 - Work unexpectedly intervened

Night 2 - Fell asleep after only getting 2 hours shut eye on night 1

Night 3 - Scope out, got children to bed, got dressed in warm gear, Cloud!!

At least I have caught up on my sleep.

Glad that you got some decent sessions in under that nice dark Dorset sky. Reading about it is the next best thing to doing it.

The Coddington Nebula/Galaxy has alway evaded me too.

Paul

Archived