NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Setup for imaging

Hey all

So the new session is here and I have the itch for new equipment soon. So currently My set up is as follows. SW 200p , SW ST 102 and a EQ5 PRO Mount. I am going to sell the EQ Pro and 200p for hopefully £450. So I would like to get a EQ6 Pro and a new Scope to image with. Will have roughly £1700 to spend. Any ideas would be great on a scope or on a different mount/setup ? 

Are we talking galaxies or a wide field/nebula setup as the scope I would use would be quite different for each of these targets :grin:.

Do you also already have a guide camera or not?

The (N)EQ6 Pro is a great mount and is pretty future proof for any size/weight of scope short of a full obsy setup. That accounts for about £1000 of your budget.

There are small DSO's like planetary nebulae and galaxies which need a longish focal length, and large ones like emission nebulae which need a short FL, so buy according to your needs. Your budget would, in fact, run to a couple of reflectors such as 130 and 200 newts with dual focuser speed, so you'd have multiple bases covered.

You don't mention whether you already have an autoguider setup. If not you will need this for exposures longer than a couple of minutes, and you should allow for this in your budget. I get good results from a SW 9x50 finder fitted with an Orion Starshoot autoguider. It's comparatively inexpensive and you can easily swap from one scope to another as it uses the standard shoe.

Regards

StevieO

Your choice for mount is quite important as it will form the base around the rig that you build.

Most people recommend either the HEQ5 or the NEQ6.

For a normal wide field setup the HEQ5 will suffice but if you wanted to eventually go for heavier scopes or dual mounted rigs then the NEQ6 would be more future proof as it take a heavier load.

You don't want to under mount an astrophotography rig, it will cause you nothing but headaches. The usual priority for a astrophotography rig in terms of importance is Mount -> Camera -> Scope

If your okay to purchase second hand, a HEQ5 will set you back around £550, a NEQ6 approx £700

For the difference in price I'd find it difficult not to go for the NEQ6 Pro over the HEQ5 unless you have any concerns over the weight of the unit.  i'd also highly recommend en EQDir cable  and linking it to a laptop as this just makes life so much easier.

Do not skimp thinking you can get away with not guiding - really, it's not worth the hassle and frustration so buy a guide cam as they are relatively cheap - I can highly recommend the Altair Astro Mono GPCAM and it works well with PHD2 (so far had no issues) - This costs £140ish.   Depending on the scope you use either a finder-guide will do or go for the much touted (and cheap) Skywatcher ST80. (say £100 with some gubbings to fit it to the imaging scope)

So, that's £950 for the NEQ6 Pro + £30 cable + £140 (guide cam) + £100 guide scope = £1220 leaving you £480 for a scope.   Perhaps the Skywatcher 80ED (save money buying the OTA only) plus the focal reducer but sure there are plenty of other options for the scope!

Do consider weight though when planning your set up. NEQ6 pro weights almost twice as HEQ5 pro ((7.5kg tripod + 16 kg mount) vs (5.6kg tripod + 10 kg mount)). If the heavy weight will mean you use them less, go for the one you can handle. 

I'm looking at roughly the same scope I was thinking about going for the sky watcher 150pds, what do people think about this scope ?

Is the neq6 really worth the extra money over the heq5 I was originally thinking about the eq5 pro but been advised not to go for this mount for imaging ? Is this true ?

Thanks

guiding is pretty much a necessity for long exposure imaging but never fear,  you can get a 2nd hand qhy5 and guide with an st80., an qhy5 and a st80 will come in under  £200 (2nd hand) and was for me, the biggest transformation in my imaging to date.

I'm looking at roughly the same scope I was thinking about going for the sky watcher 150pds, what do people think about this scope ?

Is the neq6 really worth the extra money over the heq5 I was originally thinking about the eq5 pro but been advised not to go for this mount for imaging ? Is this true ?

Thanks

If you don't go over 6inch, HEQ5 pro will be fine. EQ5 for 150PDS will not be sufficient for imaging I'm afraid. 

Mia

Archived