Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Amazing (to me at least) 2nd hand book purchase.

Gazabone

A couple weeks ago my used Uranometria vol 1 made its way across the Atlantic and arrived. Apart from it being a wonderfully detailed star map, I think I have a book that was a prized possession of its previous owner and if I can emulate his or her astronomical dedication and ability I will be absolutely delighted with myself. The reason I say this is that on every single one of its 259 pages of maps, there are all sorts of annotations. In many cases that might simply by designations being underlined but does include several star catalogue numbers being added and plots (including dates and times) of comets and asteriods just to mention some of what its previous owner has done. Whilst I don't normally like people writing in books, I can't help but think that I've bought something quite special.

Sounds like a well used and loved copy :smiley:

I've now got Uranometria 2000.0 All Sky Edition and the Deep Sky Field Guide but they were bought new so I'm going to have to add my own annotations !

I love finding the names of previous owners in second hand books. I also like it when second hand books I've bought have previously been library books and the library ticket is still inside showing when it was taken out.

Owning second hand books could become very addictive, but lack of shelves is a limiting factor for me fortunately :)

James

Whilst i share your views about writings in books, i guess they become like logs/diary notes. I was recently looking through an old Norton's Star Atlas and found scribbles i made in pencil.  " First Sighting of Comet Halley 12 Nov. 1985 " a little cross marked it's position about 5 deg above Aldebaran - glad i made it now !

andrew

Sounds like you are very happy with your purchase. That is the main thing.

Yep, absolutely delighted with. I think it was a real find and I've enjoyed everyone's comments on this thread too. Happy viewing all

Archived