Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

advice on camera for celestron 114eq please

Hi 'AstroLover_x'.

I personally think DSLR will be to heavy for your 'scope. Have you considered a modded webcam? Only drawbacks I can see is that you would need a laptop too if you do not have one and a well aligned eq mount. Other members will offer better advice.

Neximage cameras are for planetary imaging. DSLR is a start for DS imaging. For planetary imaging you will need a basic motorized mount. For DS imaging you will need a good equatorial tracking mount, and probably additional guiding and more. So for 114eq full DS imaging setup isn't the best thing to pick as you would haver to replace the mount and get a lot of accessories ;)

In case you are still interested in getting a DSLR. Have a look for used ones. I recently got a EOS 1000D body with a low shot count for about £80.

Cannot give advice on any weight issues as I have to get a 'proper' telescope yet!

I would try modifying a webcam and using a laptop or windows tablet perhaps with simple capture software, shooting video of planets/moon.  Not a lot of investment while you get an idea of how it works,  look in the diy section for modding an xbox camera to start.  

Ok thank you all for good advices ,still don't know what to take at the end as I wish to do DS too one day and in first place I thought to get a decant DSLR camera but now I found out it could be too heavy for this kind of telescope. I will check for diy section for xbox camera but I really wish I am able to do DS also and my first thought was on to purchase some good DSLR and what should I need all to set up for good DS astroimaging. I checked some pages and forums and I'm a bit confused because of so many different informations around on net (I dont mean on this site tho). On one forum someone said that he menaged to install Nikon D40 SLR on his Celestron 130eq also I will check more about that before final decision.

thank you for your advices and wish you all a nice clear sky :)

A story, my story.

I have a heritage 130p, no you can't use a dslr on it was what I read. Well anyway I have a dslr so off I went to try. The focuser can only just take the weight, but the focuser is too basic and it is a struggle to find the focus point. The telescope is not designed for a dslr so I had to make use of the trusses and collapse it down several inches to bring the primary mirror closer. Then there is the mount it is static so that meant all I could image was the Moon or other planets no deep space objects are possible. Even if I had a starter telescope and mount adding a motor to the EQ tripod in order to get longer exposures may still be beyond what the setup was designed to support.

So I guess I am saying it is not that you can't, until you try and see what the limitations might be, it is that the telescope and tripod are not always best matched to imaging. and finding this out might be expensive.

What could I do

Use a webcam and get better images of the Moon and Jupiter, I am still working on this because the focuser is still not ideal.

Buy a DSLR and learn how to take wide field images using the camera and a static mount.

Went on to build a barn door mount to get longer exposures from the camera.

Start to learn how to process the images I took.

There is plenty to learn and this fresh thread is a great read to get started with.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/254622-tips-for-shooting-with-a-kit-lens/#entry2777437

Archived