Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Barlow - How does yours work ?

For the reader who is wondering why this thread began, here is the link: 

In there there is my comment too.

I apologise for all this noise, I am not an expert in optics as well as in many other things concerning astronomy and non. 

In the other thread I simply wanted to point out that features in a telescope *should not* change when a *theoretically perfect* focal extender is introduced. If this were the case, the focal extender would play a role as a telescope corrector, which is generally not the case.

Whether people prefer to think in terms of 'doubling the telescope focal length' or 'dividing the eyepiece focal length by a factor' in order to calculate a magnification is irrilevant to me, because the outcome is the same.

My 2 cents opinion. 

Piero

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have read online that barlows technically dont magnify objects. What they do is decrease the distance between object and observers eye.

Not really, but what you read is true for a magnifying glass: it allows you to get closer and still see sharp. (An eyepiece like the Plössl is a lot like a magnifying glass)

A barlow stretches the focal plane of a telescope.

Archived