Astrophotograhy

Bear with me all as am only new to all of this,

I have a skywatcher 102 telescope and an Nikon camera, I have bought a Nikon connector ring which fits on the camera and allows me to connect a barlow lens between the camera and the telescope ( got some reasonable pictures last night), but I would like to be able to connect another lens in between the barlow and camera or barlow and telescope ( camera/ other lens/barlow/telescope or camera/barlow/other lens/telesscope The lenses I have, super 25 and super 10mm will not fit. any suggestions or is this a daft question.                

Thanks all.

just been watching some stuff on utube and guess your right bigger barlow and web type cam would do the job fine, off to find suitable bits to make it happen.

also just had delivered some equipment to connect telescope to laptop to allow control of telescope in the warm and dry

cheers

Continuing with this, I also have just bought a Nikon T ring adaptor ( lunar eclipse loooming). Tried it out last night but could only get 3/4 of the moon with a 2x barlow & my 150mm 'scope (stargazer) I tried taking the lens out of the barlow but didn't get anywhere near focussing. Have mounted the camera on the 'scope now, but would like to use it directly connected. Can anyone point me in the right direction, so to speak.

The Quattro 10" is fine telescope but you may be biting off more than you can chew, its not a beginners scope, a starting point would be a HEQ5 and a 200mm Newt, that's not a end to the spending though there's a means to power the mount and dew heaters, a little bit further down the AP Path, guiding, then due to the time taken to set it all up a Observatory, there's a book worth reading before you spend any cash it will save you getting the wrong bits, like a 10" Quattro..

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

Your list of kits, click your name top right hand side, then "Settings" the "Signature"......

If you are imaging the Moon you would get a better image scale using a webcam I think.

You do not get a bigger image scale with a webcam, just the same size image on a smaller chip, making it look bigger. You would however get a faster frame rate but wouldn't be able to fit the whole moon onto the chip so would need a mosaic.

If its the Skywatcher barlow, a standard 1 1/4" filter won't fit in the end.

Little known fact, increase the distance between barlow and eyepiece or camera and it becomes stronger (you have to refocus).

Unscrew the lens and you can pop a filter in the end of the tube and then refit the lens. I fit an IR filter here for planetary imaging and noticed things were appearing bigger than they should be. A lengthy process of calculation after measuring some images showed that it was now giving nearer to x3 instead of x2

Intresting about the increase in magnification. Whilst perusing the 'net looking for a T mount I came across one that boasted that it increased the barlow magnification to x3. Looks like I'll have to get my hack saw & gaffa tape out. Been meaning to give the web cam a go, I suppose now is the time to try.

Intresting about the increase in magnification. Whilst perusing the 'net looking for a T mount I came across one that boasted that it increased the barlow magnification to x3. Looks like I'll have to get my hack saw & gaffa tape out. Been meaning to give the web cam a go, I suppose now is the time to try.

Good point, I thought the increase was a bit much for just 1/4" extra length, but I had a T-mount fitted as well...

Archived