Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Mesu appears kaput

MartinB

Great news.

I am treating those myriad of exposed wires with some suspicion. Exposed contacts on equipment left open to the elements doesn't seem right to me. Perhaps a wee dab of Vaseline or ACF50 might be in order to prevent them turning into a furry, corroded mess?

Yes, all our kit gets a hammering from the damp.  I've had a dome for several years, they have their disadvantages but are wonderful when it comes to dew, it just isn't a problem.  So far I've just taken the simple expedient of coverting my kit with a waterproof but breathable motorbike cover when not in use.  Things have stood up pretty well.  At least those wires  aren't subject to any movement.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm away from base at the moment but I am sure that a new model will be required if you change the PA, Martin.

I run a dehumidifier in the dome for morning due and never suffer from dew when imaging in the dome but after two and a half years, the connections still look pristine - the only item to have deteriorated are the four screws in the SiTech case which I have replaced with stainless steel versions.

I hope your next run gives the results expected but at least the big issue was easily resolved!

Sent from my iPhone from somewhere dark .....

Yes, I have it ticked and also it shows on the platesolve2 screen.  You can see the points selected but I didn't notice any below the horizon.  Don't know whether any dubious ones can be deselected.

Now I've just realised, CDC doesn't automatically nutate and aberate to update positions from J2000 but Sky6 does.  I cleared these boxes along with the refraction one as advised in the ops manual otherwise the correction would be made twice.  However, when I was having problems, I reverted to the config file I saved immediately post set up, which was before I unchecked the boxes! All calibrations and PAs done since then will be out and this perhaps explains the iffy tracking.  I'll remodel tonight, do a PA and hopefully take another 30min sub to see if things are looking better.

I will get there!

PS Olly, you must be sitting pretty smug sipping a glass of red whilst reading this.  You don't have to do all this stuff but it is just another fun astroimaging challenge!!

With regard to long term exposure to the elements, Bern had also only heard of the Sitech box screws corroding.

I note that the PlaneWave mount which uses the SiTech controller has it's unit mounted in a weatherproof box.

Certainly a good idea to protect the connections as Zakalwe suggests.

I think (and hope) the electronics and engineering are shake rattle and roll proof as I have carried my Mesu up and down stairs and trundled it along a garden path about 30 times in the last 12 months.

PS Olly, you must be sitting pretty smug sipping a glass of red whilst reading this.  You don't have to do all this stuff but it is just another fun astroimaging challenge!!

Damn! This reminds me of an episode of Kojak when Kojak rings HQ from a payphone and, when Crocker picks up (with his feet on his desk) Kojak begins with, 'Crocker, get your feet off the desk' and Crocker whips them off and onto the floor before mentally kicking himself.

So, yes, you are right, that's what I was doing. But, when you have risen to the SiTech challenge, you'll be able to sleep your way through all your captures while I'm still out there all night like a diligent shepherd of yore!

Olly

Ha ha! I still won't be able to do an automated meridian flip because of the narrow aperture of the dome. One day I will get that linked into the pc. Until then I will be with you in spirit.

Hasn't Steve solved this problem? I don't remember the details though.

Olly

I run a dehumidifier in the dome for morning due and never suffer from dew when imaging in the dome but after two and a half years, the connections still look pristine - the only item to have deteriorated are the four screws in the SiTech case which I have replaced with stainless steel versions.....

Any recommendations as regards make and model of dehumidifier and when it should be on /off?

This is the one I use and I would thoroughly recommend it. I run mine all the time except when I am imaging as this type (desiccant - and you do need a desiccant type) generates heat by baking the water absorbent crystals in its oven and you don't want to generate heat in the observatory while imaging or you will also generate air currents!

This is the one I useand I would thoroughly recommend it. I run mine all the time except when I am imaging as this type (desiccant - and you do need a desiccant type) generates heat by baking the water absorbent crystals in its oven and you don't want to generate heat in the observatory while imaging or you will also generate air currents!

Here's a better and cheaper version:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EcoAir-DD122-Desiccant-Simple-Dehumidifier/dp/B00474K8SY/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1443459884&sr=1-2&keywords=EcoAir+ECO+DD122+Desiccant

I prefer this one as it kicks in when the humidity reaches a certain level. So you can turn it on and it will switch off once the level drops.

Progress report - All now running smoothly.  Reasonably polar aligned and a 30 point automated plate solved sky model.  Have been able to use the plate solving function in Maxim and Sitech to precisely reframe subs to match the previous evenings run.  Still some things that seem a bit quirky but have done an imaging run on the bubble and M52.  9x30mins Ha over 2 nights with my FSQ 106.  Maxim reporting FWHMs < 2 and star roundness 1.0 i.e. very good.  I've taken a small crop and blown up to 400% for a star shape close up

Here's the first imaging slew data

Now feel ready to to just get on and do some more imaging  :grin:

post-148-0-54695200-1443991729_thumb.jpg

post-148-0-94934800-1443991976_thumb.jpg

Archived