NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Pentax vs William Optics 10x50... HELP!

Lemzo

Thanks for your kind words, Ian.

Regarding the carry case and /eye piece covers, the 20x60 PCFs are very similar and though not a deal breaker, its disappointing on what is a good quality bino. 

I also have the new SP 20x60 to review. I should have it completed by tomorrow (maybe today if I get a chance). Preview: nice bit of kit!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for a great review Steve. With the price reduction it's now a no brainer and I've ordered them! I can put the remaining budget towards a good pocket sky atlas. I'll let you know how I get on with them. So now I'm playing the waiting, apologies if this means clouds for a few days all! :tongue:

Many thanks for the review of the new Pentax Steve, it sounds a real winner and now excellent value for money. It'll be interesting to hear how you get on splitting the Trapezium with the 20x60. I can "just about" manage it @ 20x but it takes very good conditions.

The 20x60 review is now up. As for the Trapezium, it was visible through thin cirrus a few hours ago. I managed 3 stars (13 arcsec), but not the tight 4th (8.5 arcsec)

Thanks Steve for the typically good analytical review. Its interesting that that they are a full 60mm which would lead me to think that Pentax have revised the optics a little. The WP 20x60s have been measured by Ed Zarenski in his review on Cloudynights as being something like 19x57s. Looking down the objectives it is possible to see a couple of small diagonal intrusions but these, to my admittedly less trained eyes, do not seem to protrude any more into the light path than the small baffles. Whatever, they are still good to use. Thanks again.

Thanks Steve for the typically good analytical review. Its interesting that that they are a full 60mm which would lead me to think that Pentax have revised the optics a little. The WP 20x60s have been measured by Ed Zarenski in his review on Cloudynights as being something like 19x57s. Looking down the objectives it is possible to see a couple of small diagonal intrusions but these, to my admittedly less trained eyes, do not seem to protrude any more into the light path than the small baffles. Whatever, they are still good to use. Thanks again.

This is embarrassing! I had done a cursory aperture check with a light down the eyepiece projecting a circle onto a ruler; it looked 60mm. In response to your comments, I've just done a much more careful measurement and find that it's not the full 60, but 58.5mm - review amendment in progress. The prisms do seem to create small segment cut-offs, but I could not see these in the exit pupils (with a loupe).

.......most of us  would not see the difference Steve, and its ok to err now and then. You provide a brilliant service here. Thanks.

Absolutely, and second those comments. I had assumed, and was kind of hoping, that the SPs were the full 60mm but it appears that the prisms/housings are not so different after all. Where would we be without Steve's expertise!

After reading Steve's review I opted for the Pentax and ordered them from our friends at FLO. They arrived the next day and were extremely well protected. (Thanks to Martin as well who answered a number of my questions). Last night was the first clear night and I managed to grab 60mins with my scope and the new binoculars. I have to say that they are absolutely brilliant, pin sharp, bright image and not too heavy to hold for long-ish periods. I was very surprised at the view of M31, even though I was standing in a light polluted front garden!  

Thanks again everyone for your replies and help with the decision.

.......Its good that they work for you and that your happy with the early results.

Sometimes, even with all the best will in the World, and the genuine advice folk give, things don't always work out until you have physically tried them your self.

Archived