Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Off to Cadiz, Telescopes packed

Nigele2

Well guys have found a house near Cadiz.  Be there hopefully with scopes undamaged by end of November.

Last week was on the top of a near by block of apartments (9th floor - not anything higher) but only with eyeballs.  However the sky seemed very dark and the north star looked like a beacon still clearly seen in a blue sky until the sun was completly up.  And Orion was directly overhead and a sight to behold.  So can't wait to get started.

Sadly a street light near our terrace (although it is not very powerful) but a short stroll gets me to a dark site.  And of course no need to wrap up warm.

A couple of questions come to mind:

The ocean is nearby and 3 kilometers across the bay the city of Cadiz  (a light source of course).  Any special thoughts about light created by the ocean?   Does it make life difficult?  I'm about 750 meters back from the beach so no direct reflection.

Is there anything I'll notice different at a more southerly latitude? Previously north Hampshire.

I should have more time once there as I'll be semi retired and the weather certainly leaves no excuses. And hopefully at last I'll get time to try some imaging.  

Un saludo a todo  :cool:

Hi Nigel

I'm quite frequently in the Cadiz region a bit further up the coast towards Sanlucar. It can get chilly in November believe it or not. Wind is one of the main factors. They call it Costa de la Luz but it could easily be Costa del Viento ;-) Nice part of the world though! Great people as well.

As for objects, you're at around 36N so you get to see Omega Centauri, Centaurus A, Ptolemy's Cluster (M7) in all its glory, a lot of nice objects in Sagittarius, … the list goes on. Also, it gets dark later in the winter and earlier in the summer, so a more balanced observing season all round.

I can't think of any ocean-related issues but you might need to take account of the lighthouses in that part of the world (the one in Chipiona is one of the highest in Europe). There's a naval/air base not far away too which emits quite a bit of light.

Good luck

Martin

I'm amused at myself.  When I read the subject I thought "Does Cadiz still exist?"  I think I must associate it heavily with the era of sail and it's not a place that ever gets much mention in the news or anything like that.

Google Earth suggests it's a very urban metropolis though.

James

Martin I have spanish family in Chipiona but we will be in Valdegrana next to Puerto de Santa Maria.  Know what you mean about the wind.  When younger spent three months windsurfing at Tarifa.  Luckily my dark spot has walls so I can find a nice sheltered spot.  As for " It can get chilly in November believe it or not" yes but year+ ago you guys here persuaded me to get out on a cold windy slightly damp 3 degrees night, get up the hill, and spot Saturn for the first time.   Now don't get me wrong my first view of Saturn was spectacular  but I spent two days in bed shivering :embarassed:  I'm hoping for a bit more than 3 degrees.  And as you say in September you don't have to stay up very late to get nice dark skies  :laugh: 

For sure looking forward to some new targets but to be fair I never found the time to exhaust the previous list.

James we try not to mention in spanish company that Francis Drake raided "Singeing the King of Spain's Beard" in 1587 destroying many spanish boats and escaping with lots of loot.  And that still the big sherry houses have brit connections.  But yes Cadiz is a busy place but limited by the sea being almost an island.  

Cheers guys

Being further south should put a couple of real gems higher up than here

And importantly, the closer you get to the equator, the smaller the difference between summer and wintrr night lengths. So it's still possible (probable, even) to get many hours of darkness during the summer months.

FWIW

http://www.ayton.id.au/gary/Science/Astronomy/Ast_viewing.htm

http://www.alpo-astronomy.org/jbeish/Observing_Mars_8.html

the but is that I have heard of turbulence in coastal areas due to temperature differences / cooling and so on.

When we lived on the coast (about 100 yards) most frequently I noticed stars twinkling, I didn't do a lot of imaging whilst we lived there.

I can't remember where I read of the problems though.

A quick search came up with the above.  Hope this helps.  The other but is that I'm sure others will be able to provide more detailed info.

michael

Archived