Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Laser Collimator

So I just bought one of the above... I think it was a mistake! It doesn't appear to be itself collimated. That wouldn't be so bad but there doesn't appear to be any way of adjusting it either - that's bad!! Am I missing something - is there a hidden adjustment mechanism? If not, what's the point of manufacturing and selling something that is practically useless?

Louise

Not familiar with the SW version but these things tend to be generically made and then various brand names applied. I have the £30 ish Saben one. There are 3 small indentations on the body which are filled with some sort of plasticky/waxy substance. I cleared that out (think it's designed to deter people doing that! But found that they hide collimation screws. Worth a try in my case.

Not familiar with the SW version but these things tend to be generically made and then various brand names applied. I have the £30 ish Saben one. There are 3 small indentations on the body which are filled with some sort of plasticky/waxy substance. I cleared that out (think it's designed to deter people doing that! But found that they hide collimation screws. Worth a try in my case.

Hi

Yeah I just discovered that. One is under a label... Obviously removing the rubbery stuff and the label will invalidate the warranty. I'm torn between trying to adjust this one or arranging to send it back... I wonder what resellers do with the maladjusted ones - do they just send them out to other unsuspecting customers or am I being too cynical?

Thanks

Louise

.........even the maladjusted ones work extremely well when Barlowed? Check out Barlowed laser collimation by Nils Oluf, and how to collimate the cheaper Lasers, by Astronomy shed.

Many folk assume that lasers are 100% accurate! the reason to buy one? but its still possible to align your mirrors incorrectly by using  just a laser, and removing labels/plugs invalidates their warranty, but the Laser will still work fine on your secondary, as long as it can switch on, and you own a Barlow.

Laser collimation works well if the tool is collimated, you can set up the secondary too, but having owned a Laser I prefer to use a Cheshire tool for the secondary alignment, using my Barlowed laser when out in the field, for a quick check of the primary.

Copy & paste the following links into your browser.....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE09_X43UUQ 
 www.cameraconcepts.com/barlowed%20laser%20collimation.pdf 

.........even the maladjusted ones work extremely well when Barlowed? Check out Barlowed laser collimation by Nils Oluf, and how to collimate the cheaper Lasers, by Astronomy shed.

Many folk assume that lasers are 100% accurate! the reason to buy one? but its still possible to align your mirrors incorrectly by using  just a laser, and removing labels/plugs invalidates their warranty, but the Laser will still work fine on your secondary, as long as it can switch on, and you own a Barlow.

Laser collimation works well if the tool is collimated, you can set up the secondary too, but having owned a Laser I prefer to use a Cheshire tool for the secondary alignment, using my Barlowed laser when out in the field, for a quick check of the primary.

Copy & paste the following links into your browser.....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE09_X43UUQ 
 www.cameraconcepts.com/barlowed%20laser%20collimation.pdf 

Hi

Yeah, I know those, thanks. I think my expectations for a laser were maybe a bit too high. I have a Cheshire but wanted to try a laser, particularly for collimating the focuser which has caused me grief.

Louise

.......its only human to assume and expect better. I did the same. 

Some folk will love their laser, others won't. But it matters not if its out of collimation if/when used with a Barlow. You just have to get that big grey shadow of the spot around the  hole on the target face,  you wont get any better than that. 

You could return the laser for a refund and see if someone else is throwing theirs away,  get one as a freebie, or fund enough to cover their postage perhaps?

Good luck with your decision.

.......its only human to assume and expect better. I did the same. 

Some folk will love their laser, others won't. But it matters not if its out of collimation if/when used with a Barlow. You just have to get that big grey shadow of the spot around the  hole on the target face,  you wont get any better than that. 

You could return the laser for a refund and see if someone else is throwing theirs away,  get one as a freebie, or fund enough to cover their postage perhaps?

Good luck with your decision.

Hi

Yeah, I can see the advantage of the Barlowed technique for collimating the mirrors. I'm not sure if it would help me collimate the focuser? (which I think has been the source of a lot of problems I've had.) But I can probably work around that. Maybe I'll have a go at collimating the laser collimator anyway!

Thanks

Louise

.......what's the issue with your focuser, why do you suspect there is a fault?

Um, that goes back to when I first bought the scope in March. I just swapped over my qhy8l from another scope but appear to have introduced a tilt problem . I decided it would be best to go back and make sure the focusser is true and recollimate the mirrors. I'm following Dion's Quattro tweaks video

Louise

Back to laser-collimators for a moment:

I went for the Orion USA LaserMate Deluxe II, whch claims it is fully collimated and won't need to be. And there are no screws visible to do such. I was sceptical, of course, and ran a few tests. It was collimated and remains so today - after extensive use. It cost about $75US. I am quite pleased with it and would buy it again.

On another note, ScopeStuff.com offers one with adjustable brightness. If these can be collimated - as they aren't guaranteed to arrive that way like the Orion - I'd be quite tempted to try one. I have a feeling the adjustable one's are going to be the norm in the very near future. Here's a link:

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_lcol.htm

Okay - it's safe to go back to square your focuser now..... :p

Dave

Hi Dave

I have the same adjustable one as in your link. Unfortunately I suppose one can't expect too much from the cheap ones though compared to the cost of a laser pen they are very expensive! The barlow technique seems to circumvent the out of adjustment problems. I'll have a play with it tomorrow and go through the process of checking the primary mirror centre spot and focuser collimation. Will see how it goes!

Louise

Archived