Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Altair Astro 8" F8 carbon Or Celestron C8 XLT

sonof007

Hi Everybody,

Looking for some advise. Considering either Altair Astro 8" F8 carbon  Or Celestron C8 XLT. 

Already have EQ6 Pro Mount which hopefully will cope with either of these,

Using for Imaging with Canon 550D modified.

Would appreciate others opinions as to what I can expect from these.

Already have a SW ED80 , looking for something better.

I have used a C9.25 XLT and an 8" RC - Both for imaging. I didn't use a DSLR, I was using cooled CCD's. 

All I can say, in my experience was that the C9.25 at f10 was VERY slow and I really did have to pack in the data. The stars weren't perfect, whereas with the Edge version they will be better. I didn't use a reducer as I can't be doing with spacing issues!

The 8" RC was a better scope for me than the C9.25. The stars were rounder and the scope was marginally faster. I enjoyed using the RC more. It was a little trickier to collimate, but if I did it then anyone could!

Of course, I had to get used to star spikes. 

You say that you are looking for something better than your ED80 - Well I'm not sure what you are expecting or hoping for by better. The ED80 is faster than either of these alternatives and so will benefit from getting more data in the same time. DSLR's like the faster optics for sure.

If you are just looking for something that's a longer focal length then the 8" RC would be my choice..... with the proviso that you have a decent focuser on it (Feathertouch for me) - If you are looking for something 'better' (your words) then I think you'll be disappointed. 

I hope that makes sense.

I'll agree with everything Sara says, she has used both so can speak from experience. As for "better" again I'm not sure, certainly different, but not better. What are your aims for imaging with this new scope, are you unhappy with the field of view the ED80 is offering you?

Thanks both for responmse. I agree ED80 is fantastic and taken some great images however would like to get closer images of things like ring nebula. I know not going to get Hubble images, maybe I am looking at the wrong scope by way of the two I am looking at suggested. Open to your thoughts on this.

Archived