Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A second go with a smartphone

Piero

Although there were only 6 little sunspots last Saturday, I still managed to get 3 of them with a single shot over an eyepiece giving 36x. 

The seeing was not great but still good and the sky was generally clear. After taking the shot, I played a bit with the curves and colours in GIMP. Considering that all of this was done as pure casual fun, I am quite happy of the results, particularly for extracting a bit of the corona.

Original image. I believe the large grey spot on the bottom left is an artefact though.

post-36931-0-50652200-1441744431_thumb.j

Slightly adjustment of the curves for showing the sunspots a bit better and a tiny bit of faculae which were located on the right. I cannot remember whether there was a faculae at the bottom-left of the two central spot as it seems in the image. Unfortunately I did not write it down. 

post-36931-0-35735500-1441744445_thumb.p

Adjustment of the colours for showing the corona. The red was increased, whereas blue and green decreased. Unfortunately the left part is not visible because the camera was clearly not completely parallel to the eyepiece.

post-36931-0-49062800-1441744458_thumb.p

As before but in greyscale:

post-36931-0-31671000-1441744474_thumb.p

As before but with a bit of adjustment of the curves:

post-36931-0-38531900-1441744487_thumb.p

So.. nothing serious of course, but a fair bit of fun! :)

Nice capture of sunspots (little ones, and those are harder). The latter images do not however represent the corona. That requires quite some specialized kit to image it (or a total eclipse).

Thanks for letting me know this and I apologise for the mistake! :smiley:

I thought it was possible to see it by playing with colours. 

So, what are those "jets"? The last image reported in http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/251156-a-total-beginner-image-of-the-sun/

show them even better.  :confused:  :confused:

Archived