Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ5 Polar Alignment

Alienfox

I need some advice and help with polar alignment, I had a bit of a shock when the scope slew into the tripod? Not sure if it was because I had aligned it incorrectly?

I set the tripod up made sure in was level and facing North,  I then added the mount and put my illuminated reticle into the mount and added my adapted webcam, I then placed polaris on the circle by adjusting the bolts, the scope had been set to the home position using a level on both RA & Dec . At this point I think I needed to use the setting circles, but being an EQ5 the Dec circle just keeps moving, so can't set it, so I used polar finder to place polaris is the correct position which was at 10 o'clock, so I then set the syscan and proceeded to 3 star alignment, the first star was a very long way out but managed to get it centred using a 12mm plossle eyepiece, then moved to the second star, this time it was not to far off, so adjusted and saved, then chose third star alignment, at this point I had to hit ESC as the base of the scope collided with the tripod, so decided to abandon the evening and try to nwork out what went wrong?

Anyway, starting to get just a little annoyed with the whole thing, spent a small fortune on the scope, equipment etc and still not got it right?

I know I am getting old and astronomy was to replace my previous hobby as ill health has forced me to give it up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Den

Nine times in ten the sort of problem you describe is caused by the date being incorrect, it should be in the American format MM/DD/YYYY. The other one in ten is the location being set in decimal degrees rather than degrees/minutes/seconds.

It's best to test during the day, everything is easier in daylight. Obviously you can't centre a star but if the mount is slewing in approximately the right directions then you're probably good to go.

As mentioned the date and location are the normal error's you can run Stellarium and pick a star then point the scope at Polaris and slew to the star as said do it in daylight once it goes in the general direction your be good when its dark......

Hi Matt, I have all the details in the Synscan correct, date, time, elevation etc, all set OK?

Definitely test during the day and it is worth a double check that the day and month is the "wrong" way round.

Did you pick the third star or did the software?

Either way can you recall the star ?

Have to ask, did you set DST = Yes or On or whatever it wants for DST to be when it is in use ?

Definitely test during the day and it is worth a double check that the day and month is the "wrong" way round.

Not sure this can be checked afterwards as I think you enter the date and time at each use, so what was put in yesterday is not maintained and updated.

Did you pick the third star or did the software?

Either way can you recall the star ?

Have to ask, did you set DST = Yes or On or whatever it wants for DST to be when it is in use ?

Not sure this can be checked afterwards as I think you enter the date and time at each use, so what was put in yesterday is not maintained and updated.

Its not updated but once put in the first number can't be more than 12 so its possible to screw it up by inputting for today a 7 the then the day as a 9 later in the month it can't,  the previous date last input is shown....

HI Guys, Day month the correct way round, have setup during the day it seemed to work, but not last night, DST Yes, Date & Time needed each time, all set correctly, which is why I am scratching my head, everything should work?

Hi Alienfox. Which software version are you running on your SynScan handset? I run v3.36 on my EQ5 Pro but enter the time converted to non summer time and tell the handset I'm not using DST. There was a thread a long time back which encouraged me to think there was a small bug in this version so I adapt the time with good results. I much prefer using v3.36 to the older versions.

Your photo sequence looks good to me. Some people have commented on v3.37 as having problems with AZ/EQ mount types, but I haven't seen negative comments in connection with the good old EQ5. You might just try using the present clock time (summer time) - 1 and setting No to daylight saving time as I do with v3.36.

On the V3 syncscan for EQ mounts you need to enter elevation during setup do you?? as on my V4 syncscan I only have to enter longitude, Latitude Date, Time, DST and Time Zone and that is it. I have never entered Elevation on this one or my old Alt/Az V3 Syncscan. As I am wondering if the problem could be coming from the elevation setting.

Maybe you could try resetting the syncscan handset and start over and see if it asks you for elevation or incase the software is having a glitch or a setting not right. Could be worth a try.

Archived