Getting started in wide field photography...help

I need help choosing a camera and lens to get started in taking widefeild images. I live in Snowdonia so the light pollution is minimal, perfect for observing and imaging i would imagine! Ive always wanted to take my own picture of the milky way but wondered what i would need and how much.

I would also like to use this camera to attach to a telescope (still undecided what scope to get)

Lou

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lou,

Hello again :)

What sort of budget are you thinking?

I've only ever owned and used Canon dslr cameras; I had a Zenith as a teenager but that was pre-digital era.

The numer of different canon's is eye watering. I'd go for the most recent one you can afford.

Lens - essentially get one with as wide a field of view as possible, as measured by focal length; an 18mm focal length will have a wider field of view than a 50mm lens. You can do good things with stock lenses, but the more you pay, you'll be able to get "faster" wider angle lenses. Faster means the f/ number is lower and itis of the lens opens really wide and it lets lots of light in; fast lenses are probably f/1.4 or lower.

Canon's seem the equipment of choice, they do or did supply more support in terms of software. Equally I suspect most was used little.

If you are not using a tracking mount of some variety then you are limited to about 20-25 seconds before trailing becomes apparent, and this depends on the focal length of the lens. Seems that a start is the 20mm to 30mm area.

You may likely need to get an intervalometer/remote timer as well, they make life somewhat easier, Amazon about £20.

After that it is a case of setting everything manually and going "click".

Maybe over simplified but there is just so much that you can do with a DSLR.

Read the DSLR manual for aspects such as Noise Reduction, and before you try for 10 exposures remember the DSLR chip needs to cool down so it is take an exposure, let it cool, take another exposure.

To later attach to a scope you will need a T-ring for the camera and I think another bit, as in another adaptor ring. Might be wrong here, sort of 50/50 ?

I've only ever owned and used Canon dslr cameras; I had a Zenith as a teenager but that was pre-digital era.

Still have my Zenith, it was the cheap one the B model.

Now that had a shutter on it that registered on seismographs when it went off.

But you learnt (had to) what ISO, aperture, focal length etc all did in the subtle ways to a shot

Lou,

Hello again :)

What sort of budget are you thinking?

The numer of different canon's is eye watering. I'd go for the most recent one you can afford.

Lens - essentially get one with as wide a field of view as possible, as measured by focal length; an 18mm focal length will have a wider field of view than a 50mm lens. You can do good things with stock lenses, but the more you pay, you'll be able to get "faster" wider angle lenses. Faster means the f/ number is lower and itis of the lens opens really wide and it lets lots of light in; fast lenses are probably f/1.4 or lower.

You cant get rid of me James, i have so many questions and a weekend off so im doing as much research as i can haha.

I'm not wanting to spend a great deal on a camera as such, i feel like it will be something that i wont use as much, maybe as right now i don't know much about them. However, i do live in Wales and if the weather is good enough there is so much photographic opportunity, so potentially i could use it to take other photographs.

In a previous post someone mentioned getting a 350D with a 18-55mm kit lens. Ive been looking on ebay and i reckon i could get one for just over £100 (meaning if i cant get the hang of it...its not a great loss!) do you think this is a good starting point? Ive been doing some thinking and think i will stick to the observing with my current 4" reflector (which is only good for the moon) and try imaging the milkyway for a bit before progressing into astrophotography with a scope

The older the camera, the more noisy the sensor will be. The more modern the camera, the higher the quantum efficiency of the sensor too.

You need a tripod too.

If you are going to do star trails, you'll need an intervalometer to remotely operate the shutter of the camera; can get these for most cameras on enay for under £15. Otherwise you could run the camera from a laptop with canon utilities and a usb lead.

If you are planning on inaging continuously for more than a few hours you'll need a battery grip which can hold two or more batteries; else an alternative power source.

Again if doing imaging over several hours, your lens will dew up, so you'll need a heated dew band and a dew control unit and something to power it.

Big memory cards are pretty cheap and you don't need one which can be written to at lightening soeed as you are unlikely to be doing rapid work, though you may do some video, so consider getting a camera with video mode.

Having a camera with live preview helps with focusing.

James

For AP I would go for a 450D or 1100D as a minimum you realy need liveview to get easy focus. Its worth looking here http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/used-equipment/used-digital-slr-cameras/used-canon-digital-slr-cameras/?keyword=&curr_min_price=&curr_max_price=&min_price=0&max_price=3300&out_of_stock=&view_all=&filter=price+ASC for used cameras and lenses, they often publish the camera`s shutter count too which is important.

For lenses the std 18-55mm is a good start the "nifty fifty" is another good cheap lens but you can by an EOS to M42 adapter and use a whole range of older manual lenses which can be absolute bargains.

Alan

Ive just googled and now i understand, its how many times the shutter has been operated. Is it worth getting a new 1200D? Its well within my price range. Also that adapter sounds like a good idea, my dad has lots of old lenses for his canon dslr he had years ago

The shutter count is literally how many times the camera has taken a photo. Most cameras have an expected life cycle thats given in shutter counts.

One good thing about canon is that its possible to install software omn the camera that adds functonality, magic lantern adds an intervelometer, and other tools, is free and works with many old canons. I have just installed it in an 1100d, have yet to use in anger,

Ive just googled and now i understand, its how many times the shutter has been operated. Is it worth getting a new 1200D? Its well within my price range. Also that adapter sounds like a good idea, my dad has lots of old lenses for his canon dslr he had years ago

There are often new camera bundles that do offer very good buys when you consider the cost of the body plus lenses seperately and is the way I started. I dont know the specifics of the 1200D but newer usually gets you a better sensor and internal processor and less noise.

Alan

Before you spend any money on Astrophotography i'd recommend you buy the the book 'Making every photon count' you can buy it from First Light Optics who are the offical sponser's on SGL.

Beware, Ap will seriously damage your wallet!

Goodluck.

Kenny

Lou, there are plenty of books to read. One I think which is a good begininer to read is by Michael Covington, dslr astrophotography. Even second hand now it is still £20. You can borrow my copy of you want, i'll post it; just don't lose it and send it back when read.

James

Archived