NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Baader Eyepiece adapter for SCT ... I like

I bought a new SCT and have had it out once so far.  The diagonal that came with it has the threaded adapter that screws onto the 3.29 threads on the scope.  I did not like this thing.  It kept coming loose when using heavy eyepieces and they would suddenly spin the diagonal.  

So I found the Baader Planetarium Clicklock Eyepiece adapter.  It was expensive $127 but I ordered it and it came today.  I know that I am going to like this adapter.  When you rotate the ring on the adapter, it locks the eyepiece in place.  I see no reason why I can't use it for my DSLR for prime focus too. Baader guarantees, "zero sag and misalignment for even the heaviest and longest of accessories."

Celestron's T-adapter for attaching the DSLR to the rear cell costs $50.00.  Now, I won't need that and I am sure that the Baader will hold my DSLR and adapters much more securely than Celestron's adapter.

The Baader should work for both Visual and DSLR so this should be the only adapter I will need.

What do you think? 

Yes :smiley: , that's one of few upgrades I've done on my scopes. Got the taste when "borrowed" the Clicklock from Baader Heschel wedge to my Baader prism diagonal, felt the "necessity" to get it for all my scopes (no focuser upgrades felt necessary for visual).

Here is some more stuffs you might find interesting too.

I really like the Baader ClickLock stuff and had one of these before I upgraded my CPC1100 with a FeatherTouch Crayford which screws directly onto the OTA.

Baader produce a full range of adapters like this and I tend to use them on all sort of scopes if they come with screw-type fittings on the focus tube.

Thanks YKSE for the link ... some more interesting Baader stuff.  I am not sure what adapters I may need along with the Clicklock.  I attached the Baader to my SCT.  It screwed onto the 3.29 threads on the scope okay.  I hope to test it the next clear night.  I have a star diagonal and various eyepieces to try.  Am i right to assume that I will be able to reach focal point with the Baader Clicklock - Diagonal - Eyepiece setup?  

Tim,

You won't have problem to reach focus in a SCT, too little back-focus can be an issue for refractors or Newtonians, but not for SCT, besides, the Clikclock adapter is actually some 5mm shorter than my previous simple SCT adapter.

You were right YKSE.  I tested the telescope tonight and was able to focus ... no problem.

It was really hot and humid today but I wanted to try the new Baader adapter and my new Red Dot finder as well.  I knew the fog would roll in at dusk so I went over early and set up the SCT.  I focused on an old building a couple of miles away and  was able to adjust the Red Dot finder.  So now I know I can set up and find what I'm looking for when we get a clear night.

I installed the DSLR into the Baader adapter and wow!  I like how the Baader holds the camera ... no worries with it falling out or turning.

Here is a picture I took of some horses .... way -way-way over there.   :Envy:  Haha

Archived