Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Recommended pre-scope purchases?

I'd read that already Derek. Seems like most ventures or dare I use the word hobbies, the initial purchasee is seldom the last. The £359 bargain scope will or could end up double or even treble that with accessories. But my other half has always told me how accessories are important. We will see lol. No doubt her Arnpmani trimmings are a little more than my modest requests;-)

Mind you despite my modest beginnings, I spent a fair amount of time this weekend googling Celestron Nexstar 8 for some reason. No such thing as second scope syndrome before the first is even ordered is there?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd read that already Derek. Seems like most ventures or dare I use the word hobbies, the initial purchasee is seldom the last. The £359 bargain scope will or could end up double or even treble that with accessories. But my other half has always told me how accessories are important. We will see lol. No doubt her Arnpmani trimmings are a little more than my modest requests;-)

Mind you despite my modest beginnings, I spent a fair amount of time this weekend googling Celestron Nexstar 8 for some reason. No such thing as second scope syndrome before the first is even ordered is there?

I like a man who walks into battle with his eyes open :wink:

I think you will fit in well here, Steve. Astronomy is like snooker, always plan your third and fourth shot before potting the first ball - and make sure there is a distracting number of shoes arriving through the post to deflect attention from the boxes with FLO stickers on them :rolleyes:

If you're a rambler you've probably already got these too, but if not I'd recommend an ordinary pair of mid-range binoculars. 8x40, 10x50 - something like that - they're absolutely invaluable, IMO, for learning your way around the night sky, in partnership with a chart of some sort. And especially for that last step before trying to line your scope up on some cluster or planet, or whatever. 

If you're a rambler you've probably already got these too, but if not I'd recommend an ordinary pair of mid-range binoculars. 8x40, 10x50 - something like that - they're absolutely invaluable, IMO, for learning your way around the night sky, in partnership with a chart of some sort. And especially for that last step before trying to line your scope up on some cluster or planet, or whatever.

Another one of my passions - although lapsed recently is birding so fortunately I have several pairs of Nikon bins with have superb light gathering capability even at 8x32. I actually have at least four spotting scopes which I considered using for astronomy in some capacity. I say at least as it is so long since I did an inventory I can't recall what I have loaned out! Collecting optics is a bit of an addiction.

Sorry but can someone advise how I multi quote ? Or point me to where I can find out?

Thanks

Steve

Doesn't look like anyone has mentioned it.  CLOTHES!   Make sure that you have warm clothing that you can spend all night outside in without getting frozen to the bone.

A good pair of walking boots should be enough to keep the cold out of your feet.

Themal socks are a must have.

Thermal undergarments would be useful too.  (I've not done this myself, as I'm overweight and haven't yet found any that fit.  mind you, I'm dropping weight at the moment, so this might be something for me in the near(ish) future)

Gloves - These are tricky.  For when you get your scope, you'll want them thin for dexterity, but again you'll need the warmth.   I've often thought of getting shooting mits or something like that.  (The mittens, with a flap that reveals fingerless gloves)

Also make sure that your core is kept warm - layers are the key, rather than a single big coat.

And to top off that lot off,  A thermos flask, or similar, to keep a hot drink in.

The last thing that you want is to get cold during a long observing session, it can ruin what would have been the perfect evening.

Another one of my passions - although lapsed recently is birding so fortunately I have several pairs of Nikon bins with have superb light gathering capability even at 8x32. I actually have at least four spotting scopes which I considered using for astronomy in some capacity. I say at least as it is so long since I did an inventory I can't recall what I have loaned out! Collecting optics is a bit of an addiction.

Sorry but can someone advise how I multi quote ? Or point me to where I can find out?

Thanks

Steve

To Multi quote - look in the lower right of each post and click the multi quote button.   Do that for each post that you want to quote.  When you have finished picking things to add to the multi-quote list, you'll notice a new button as appeared in the lower right corner.  Click that and you'll get all the quotes posted into the reply box ready for you to add your comments.

Doesn't look like anyone has mentioned it.  CLOTHES!   Make sure that you have warm clothing that you can spend all night outside in without getting frozen to the bone.

A good pair of walking boots should be enough to keep the cold out of your feet.

Themal socks are a must have.

Thermal undergarments would be useful too.  (I've not done this myself, as I'm overweight and haven't yet found any that fit.  mind you, I'm dropping weight at the moment, so this might be something for me in the near(ish) future)

Gloves - These are tricky.  For when you get your scope, you'll want them thin for dexterity, but again you'll need the warmth.   I've often thought of getting shooting mits or something like that.  (The mittens, with a flap that reveals fingerless gloves)

Also make sure that your core is kept warm - layers are the key, rather than a single big coat.

And to top off that lot off,  A thermos flask, or similar, to keep a hot drink in.

The last thing that you want is to get cold during a long observing session, it can ruin what would have been the perfect evening.

I think we mentioned when I mentioned my previous experiences rambling - always prepared for any eventuality!

To Multi quote - look in the lower right of each post and click the multi quote button.   Do that for each post that you want to quote.  When you have finished picking things to add to the multi-quote list, you'll notice a new button as appeared in the lower right corner.  Click that and you'll get all the quotes posted into the reply box ready for you to add your comments.

I think I have it now. Thanks

Steve

I like a man who walks into battle with his eyes open :wink:

I think you will fit in well here, Steve. Astronomy is like snooker, always plan your third and fourth shot before potting the first ball - and make sure there is a distracting number of shoes arriving through the post to deflect attention from the boxes with FLO stickers on them :rolleyes:

with me it's not the shoes to distract but the chanel! :eek:

michael

Michael

If I had one, I'd wear it. Have you tried stargazing in Cork in the deep midwinter.....

not Cork, no - but we have just emerged from a winter in the foothills of the snowy mountains and I did have some 'fun' when we were in Russia a few years back!:)

michael

Archived