Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Questions about Skywatcher Skymax-127 Telescope 127 mm 5 Inches f/1500 Black

Hi, 

So i've recently been thinking about starting a new hobby and it's been recommended to me to look at the Skymax-127 as a starter telescope. Could anyone enlighten me as to the key differences between these telescopes and which mount would be best.

Skymax-127 EQ3-2 Maksutov-Cassegrain 

Skymax-127 Syncscan AZ GoTo Telescope

Thanks !

A

Hello and welcome to SGL. There is only one difference to the two telescopes and that is the mount. The mount supplied with the Skymax-127 EQ3-2 is a little more complex to use than the other version (equalorial mounts are more difficult to initially understand than alt-azimuth types). The Skymax-127 Syncscan AZ GoTo features a computerised mount which allows the user to automatically point the telescope at stars, planets, galaxies etc . The basic version of the EQ3-2 mount on the other hand doesn't have this ability but can be added at a later date.

The GoTo might be better as it will help you find your targets and it will track them too.

With the EQ mount, no motorized tracking and no computer to help you find your targets are included. But you won't need a 12 Volt power source either, and there's no computer or motors that could break.

Thanks!

I take it the EQ mount has manual knob that can be turned to manually track objects once it has been aligned then, instead of a motor?

Last question - would the image quality differ greatly between the EQ and alt-azimuth? 

A

Thanks!

I take it the EQ mount has manual knob that can be turned to manually track objects once it has been aligned then, instead of a motor?

Last question - would the image quality differ greatly between the EQ and alt-azimuth? 

A

Yes, the EQ mount will have manual controls as standard for tracking your object once you have found it.

Image quality will be identical as the optical tube is the same for both models.

Only you can decide which mount would suit you best, pros & cons for both.

Good luck with your decision, Ed.

The 127 Mak has a relatively small field of view, that is it does not show a large area of the sky. This means that it can be slightly more difficult to locate targets until you get some practice. The Go To would be easier to use, as long as you master the set up procedure.

Archived