NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Best DSO image to date but some issues / tips welcome.

My remote shutter finally arrived, tried it out last night.  First long exposure attempt and first flats attempt.  A little drift in stars, speed was off and didn't get even lighting over tshirt so flats turned out bad, but even without flats was impressed with what Nebulocity did.  My main question is does raw look normal?  If there is such a thing as a normal raw.  I may be pushing little crop camera to the max, curious if I need more or less ISO.  Images below are processed with Lights, Darks & Bias, / Lights, Darks, Bias & Flats, /  Raw sample.  

Lights 21 x 120 sec

Darks 10

Bias 22

Flats 21 (really bad flats as you can see)

ISO 3200

F4

120 Sec

Sony FE 70-200mm F4 @ (300mm with my camera) 

Sony A6000

Clear gazing !

post-46204-0-90933800-1440201326_thumb.j

post-46204-0-09385300-1440201335_thumb.j

post-46204-0-62976500-1440201344_thumb.j

My understanding is that as long as you don't overfill the pixel buckets on the image, the information is there waiting to come out.  You are wondering if the raws look normal, at a glance I'd say it looks ok, the histogram doesn't show that you've saturated the image which is I understand to be the limiting factor.  Looking at all your images, it looks like there is loads of detail already bought out.  The flats whilst yes, there's an issue, it does show that there is an improvment - I think the image looks better with the flats, even though the flat isn't even.  It does appear to have a little more detail coming out.

All in all, I'd say that's a great image.  Not only is it a nice image to look at, but there's also information there on how to improve for next time. ;-)

Archived