NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Timelapse - asteroid, satellite or UFO?

Hi,

Timelapse URL: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2k...ew?usp=sharing

I wonder if any of you guys know what did I record during Perseids observation. Timeframe of timelapse is 8.7.2015 22:47 - 8.7.2015 23:07 UTC (20 minutes), my location is 46° 13' 3.92" N, 14° 26' 24.63" E. Exposure of single photo is 10s. It is moving through Perseus and towards Auriga. ISS, airplanes etc all leave traces on 10s exposure - this object is moving VERY slowly in comparison. I think it is also not geostationary satellite since it would look like a normal star?

Thanks and best regards!

If geostationary then it will move against the star field, geostationary means it remains above the same location on the earth so it therefore must move relative to the general star field.

Trouble with satellites is that Heavens Above just lists a small number of satellites that are orbiting the Earth, guess about one or two hundred of something like the 2,250 that the Goddard Space Centre lists. There are just too many of them.

The "fast" ones are low earth orbit, there is not single orbital radius, get the velocity right and they can go anywhere.

You are right of course - I did not think geostationary through, thanks for explanation! (that is not it though - recorded object moves across the sky? :))

And wow, 2250 is a lot! I imported all available satellites into Stellarium and also found nothing. On the other hand that is even less data than Heaves Above.. :)

If anyone would like a FREE satellite - tracking program, here's what I consider the pick-of-the-litter:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/previsat/

You set your location, choose the class of satellite (like Education, Science, Weather, etc.) you wish. Then select the specific satellite(s) you wish to view the location & orbit of. Read the instructions, and keep it updated.

One caveat with this, and other satellite-trackers, don't select all of them. It's like driving in rush-hour traffic up there! It's bumper-to-bumper.

Dave

Archived