Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SPC900nc Win7?

Alienfox

I have for the last 3 days been trying to install a flashed SPC880NC/SPC900NC webcam, I have downloaded the correct drivers although when I look in the folder it only contains drivers for vista32, vista64 & XP64, but nothing is visible in Device manager, an Unkown device appears, but its not the webcam as when I try to use one of the drivers it replys not this device?

I contacted the guy I bought it from al he kept saying was that he had sold over 40 of them and everybody else had no problems? I do have a background in IT so I know I am doing everything right, I dont need insults about my abilities just help, so before i return it I thought I would give all you guys a shout for help.

Any help would be appreciated.

It should work, I have win7 and I've just tried It has I've only just done a fresh OS install ,I just plugged it into a usb port and  windows installed the drivers automatically and I used Sharpcap  to view

Hi John

I have uninstalled the drivers and plugged the camera back in, same thing nothing?  Spend over 4 hours yesterday trying to fix it but without much luck, will have a go at downloading the chipset driver.

I had similar issues a few years back when Morgans were selling some (unmodded) cameras.  If memory serves me correct you had to add the hardware manually, and the driver came up in the adudio device catagory.  I've been scanning my bookmarks for the link, but without any luck so far.  The drivers that worked for me came direct from the Phillips website http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?tmplt=ePlatform%20-%20Philips&scy=GB&slg=ENG&sct=WEBCAMS_SU&cat=WEBCAM_HEADSETS_CA&session=20101027115954_161.88.245.146&grp=PC_AND_PHONES_GR&ctn=SPC900NC/00&mid=Link_Software&hlt=Link_Software

If I come accross the post from three or four years back I'll post up a link. - Don't forget to right click and run the driver installation as administrator

OK try this:

Plug in the camera, go to Windows device manager and Right clicked on "Unknown Device"
Click "Update Driver Software"
Click "Browse my computer"
Click "Let me pick from a list"
Scroll down and selected "Sound, video and Game controllers" then click Next
Scroll down and Selected "Philips CE CSI" and then "Philips SPC 900NC PC Camera"
Click Next, and then Yes to the "update driver warning"

A very big thank you to everyone who has helped me with this problem, I have asked for help before and the response from the forums has always  been fantastic, Malcolm your solution sorted it in seconds, thanks to everyone again, just one more problem with my eq5 & stellerium and I am hopefully ready for some observing and imaging.

Den

As you don't know what it is I guess you're not planning to do that immediately :D

The maximum exposure time on the camera is restricted.  I can't recall what it is off the top of my head, but it's easily less than a second.  There is a (fairly heavy duty) mod for the SPC900 that allows the exposure time to be extended as long as you like.  It involves soldering new connections to the PCB and cutting some of the connectors as well as adding some additional components.  These days I think it's probably of limited value, to be honest.  There are enough cameras available on the second hand market that will do longer exposures at sufficiently low prices that the LX mod is far less appealing than it once was.

James

Den,

No problem... I miss the old days when installing hardware meant you had to mess about manually updating drivers and changing IRQ settings to make it work without confilcting with other devices :)

As James mentioned, the LX mod involves cutting tracks, soldering additional components and re-housing the results in a new housing.  There have been varoius threads on doing this, but to be honest I have to agree that it's usefulness these days compared to off the shelf cameras of similar pricing hardly makes it worth doing.

The stock camera will give excellent renditions of the Moon, Sun (when a suitable full apature filter is used) and brighter planets.  To use with a scope, remove the small lense and replace it with a 1.25" adaptor and drop it in like a normal eyepiece

FF070.jpg

Then download the free sharpcap applications and you're ready to rock n roll :)

Thanks James & Malcolm for clearing that up, I watched a video last night about sharpcap (I have this already installed) and he said he was using an LX camera, think I will just stick to the basic mod at the moment and see how it goes.

Thanks guys.

Archived