Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Physics/astronomy related places?

Dom1961

Hi, my birthday is on Monday and my mum doesn't really want me to be sat at home on my birthday. I can't really think of what I want to do, so I was wondering if any of you knew any physics or astronomy related places preferably no longer than 2 hours away from North Lincolnshire. Also preferably somewhere where I can spend the whole day or a few places which are close to each other.

Thanks

It probably isn't near enough but I see that The Royal Greenwich Observatory now houses the only planetarium in London. I know that 'cus I just looked it up!

Anyway I see one of their planetarium shown is "Dark Universe" and it's narrated my Neil deGrasse Tyson. So I imagine it's the very same show I saw at the Hayden Planetarium in New York when we were there for my big birthday treat in December.

Great show and surprisingly detailed.

After taking in the rest of the RGO you could make your way over to the big attractions on the other side of the river. Museums galore. Not done any of them for many years but you'll fill a day easily!

So with an early start and very late finish you could do it. Just remember it's the summer holidays so it's going to be busy!!

Took a look at York ob but unfortunately they're only open on Thursdays and Saturdays, but definitely a visit for another time, thanks!

I was thinking about Woolsthorpe Manor, I'll have to dig deeper into that.

Yes, I think Greenwich ob is a bit far, but again next time we're in London I'm definitely going to have a check

Nice. I was consodering the William Herschel Museum in Bath but it's a long drive so will save that for another day.

The Hershell Museum is nice and very interesting but only takes up an hour or two really. It's great to see where Hershell made his mirrors and stand on the spot in the little garden where Uranus was discovered  :smiley: 

Archived