Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Joining the Perseid club

My own contribution from last night/this morning for what it's worth ;)

My first proper go at capturing a shower, and even then cloud tried really hard to spoil things.  Set up the Pentax K30 with Sigma 10-20mm lens in drive mode with 25 second subs at iso 800 and let it run.  Filled 8gb card between 23:00hrs and I packed in about 02:30hrs (ish).  I have to say, I probably missed some with my wandering attentions and also occasionally turning the camera off for a few minutes here and there to let the sensor cool down.  

But on the whole I'm pretty pleased.  Strangely enough, I did see two whilst looking completely the opposite way (south west) with the bino's fairly early on which came from the direction of Perseus, but were not in the camera's field of view.  One off them was slightly orange in colour and I briefly made out what looked like smoke in its trail and it looked to me to be fairly low in the atmosphere.  Maybe a couple of rogue meteors??

Anyway....

post-22225-0-26053500-1439470659_thumb.j

post-22225-0-63011600-1439470681_thumb.j

well done mate, I see you grabbed a couple in the first pic... show off ;)

Cheers,

Oddly enough the 30 or so frames either side have got nowt in them :)  I saw the brighter one as it happened and knew I had it, and then when I saw the small one and heard the shutter close literally straight after I laughed out loud (which says a lot for me as I don't make a habit of laughing to myself outside in the dark). The fact I have no other images with two meteors in them is testiment to how fortunate I was to ge this one! 'Pleased' would be an understatement.  :)

Archived