Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Getting rid of dew

Dom1961

Just came in from looking at the meteors and all of my eps and my filter are really wet from dew. Is there a special way that I need to leave them to get dew off them? Also will the dew leave any marks or damage the ep or filter?

Thanks

The trick is to keep your eyepieces and filters slightly warmer than outside temperature. I keep mine in a foam lined case which seems to retain a little warmth.

If eyepieces get too cold you will find that they can mist up when you get your eye close to them.

Yup - I keep mine in a foam line flight case too, and close the lid each change. You can also keep the "next one" that you intend to use in a pocket to warm it up a little before swopping in. Those are the "free" solutions - some folks use an eyepiece dew band and dew controller which will cost around £80 at cheapest - but most of the time I don't find them necessary. Hth :)

If the scope has a rack to keep the EPs in at the telescope, I attached a piece of camping mat (or whatever you like) above them like a flap and just pick them out and replace the EP i took from the focusser. Works just fine for a couple of years now. If you're interested i could post a picture.

Barry

were they wet before you brought them in? bringing something very cold into somewhere warm will do this. I leave my stuff in the shed til the next day to try and reduce condensation. I've also heard of people puting their ep's into a sealed plastic back when bringing indoors to keep the warm air off the ep. not tried it though

While observing I keep all my filters and eyepieces in a foam lined (camping mat) plastic food container with a lid. I only take out what I need. If you need to take things inside after a session observing, leave them to equilibrate and all will be fine.

Archived