NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Maxim DL5 doesn't work properly in Windows 10.

Maxim DL5 doesn't work properly in Windows 10.

The programme will open if opened from its own icon but if I double click a FITS file and choose Maxim as the default programme to open that type of file it reports that the MSI installation file is missing and crashes!!! I cant find a *.msi file within the Maxim programme files    :huh:   :huh:   :huh:

@ChrisH - yes tried that - when I choose 'open with' and select Maxim DL it just bounces the 'cannot find MSI file message' up with an option to browse for it but for the life of me I cannot find it.

Have posted the same info in the 'what works and what doesnt work' thread.

Just tried opening .fits files in Maxim DL6 and MaximDL 5 in windows 10. They both open no problems at all.

Also tried PixInsight latest release 01.08.04 1171 that works also.

Photo shop CS5 version 12.1 works also without problems so far.

The Skyx Pro also OK so far.

Maxpoint OK.

Straton OK.

EQASCOM OK.

@physopto  Have you tried opening windows explorer and choosing the fits file to open and right click it to choose which programme to use and then selecting Maxim ??

Thats where mine falls over.

If I open Maxim and select the file from within Maxim it opens just fine.  But from within Windows Explorer it wont open.

@physopto Have you tried opening windows explorer and choosing the fits file to open and right click it to choose which programme to use and then selecting Maxim ??

Thats where mine falls over.

If I open Maxim and select the file from within Maxim it opens just fine. But from within Windows Explorer it wont open.

No haven't tried that. I'll give it a go asap and let you know.....

Just been and tried. It works OK. But I had to a) pick the program.

b ) re pick after it came with an error the first time. It seems to need the second effort to get it setup correctly.

I have MaximDL 6 as well as 5 and it will only let me use version 6 in this manner. To use 5 I have to do it from within the program itself.

I've tried several times to be sure. Once you pick the program it sticks with it in future. I presume you would have to edit the start file to change it. Not worth it for me.

Derek

Excellent news!

There always seems to be one or two small problems with new installations. They can be very frustrating to say the least. I only just installed Win10 yesterday on this computer after trying it on a laptop for the last two months first. But I have taken the time to disable many of the inbuilt spy bits. So far the only problem I've come across is Stardock's Fences. I had to upgrade to the paid for release as the free version  stopped me moving icons about, at $10 cheap.

Derek

Archived