Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WO 72 FD sitting on a tripod? This bordering on an emergency case !!

Been following some of the ED80 vs so & so 's and other thread of that ilk, I'm seriously tempted by the WO72 but torn - ZS66 ? Ideally I need it to be able to sit on a camera tripod whilst on hols as I'm under orders not to even think of the bigger stuff ;) .So not much in the way of price difference (for the time being anyway).

What d'yer fink people ?

Karlo

Karlo,

The WO Megrez 72 comes complete with an L bracket/foot which is shaped as a traditional dovetail, and can be used as such, but also has a standard 1/4" (20) tripod socket on the base of the foot. The foot easily removes (2 small bolts), if you need to use as a guidescope for example I've used one on a very flimsy tripod for some solar work with a DSLR on the end and had no problems.

Steve.

Oh God this is truly awful. Where is conscience when you need it ? A whisker away from clicking "checkout" at FLO for the 72 FD OTA but thought "no, see if the 2nd hnd 66SD OTA ( no case mind !) on A B&S is still up" Yes it is ,at £150.00 !! £150.00 or £289.00 ???? Wife's 40th coming up in just over a month, be nice to get more than a card and wilting flowers . HELP !!! Steve save me !!!

All you guys out there with a 66sd are you all happy with it or do you feel that it hasn't lived up to your expectations in any way. In another thread someone complained of having some purple fringing on bright objects, I assume this may be the norm whereas it would not bethe case with the 72 FD.

Karlo ;):(:)

;):(

Yeah ,know what you mean. To hell with it !! 72 FD it is !! Just means I'll need to make over a few more gardens :) , one new lawn should do it . You can only be killed once ! ( if swmbo found out) gonna have to come up with a good story.

Karlo

OKay laugh if you want I've bottled it !! gone and bought the ZS66SD instead. I thought that actually the primary reason for purchase was to be able to have something as "grab and Go..." as well as when on hols and unable to take much in the way of kit. Buy another Maplin special ( carry case) and the diagonal, a couple of EP's and possibly a w/cam but certainly the DSLR and I'm away ! Of course the saving in cash will go some way to buying pressies for the missus.

Thanks for all the support and recommendations and temptation guys ;)

I love my ZS66. Its a great holiday scope, fits neatly into a rucksack, and gives great views. Mine went around Africa on Safari with me ;) and the views with it, and its great grab and go capability, are what got me back into astronomy after a long break.

You'll enjoy it! (and forget the 'what ifs' just enjoy it!)

Helen

Cheers Helen, No I'm fine and very happy with my purchase and looking fwd to it's arrival on Tuesday. I'm not inclined to waste time and effort on "what if's" anymore, I make a decision and live with it. Besides if I'm still keen on the 72FD you can bet your life someone will be selling one in 6 mnths from now and in a yr ,18 mnths, a bit cheaper ;)

The great thing about the ZS66 is that it's so portable as well being optically very good, just look at the images taken with them. I think the 72 is just that bit bigger and heavier and not necessarily hugely better optically in spite of the FD tag. I also use mine as a handy little guidescope for my ZS80II ED and my 8in SCT.

Wouldn't be without it, hope you enjoy yours karlo!

Mark

Archived