Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

which is better ??

At the moment I have been using the "Antares Sentinal 80mm" along side my C11 on the EQ6 Pro mount

I am very much considering getting and using in its place a blue tubed Skywatcher ed 100 Apo

Can anyone point out if this will be a benefit over the 80mm I use now??

I want to be able to image DSOs & widefield and also guide with it (when I learn how to do the latter)

Is this better to use the 100 ?? image-wise please?

need an anwser by 11 am tomorrow so I can buy it so no pressure folks :shock:

Tough call Martyn, i have had both 80 and 100 scopes Hmmm , no problem weight wise there for either ,the 80 with a reducer will give a massive FOv , whilst the 100 will still give you a very acceptable Fov as well with a reducer.

its what you fancy really i think , both are good , see what others may think , but thats my view anyway .

Rog

You will have to excuse my lack of knowledge on the Skywatchers, but are the Blue tubes not all Achromats, and the Gold and Black the Apochromats.

Ron.

The blue ones were the first APOs to come out is my understanding Ron they brought out the 80mm then after a while brought out the 100mm then they brought out the gold painted range which were noted for better build quality as well as the new focuser on them

That's as I see it I may need to stand corrected ;)

that's pretty much how I understand it Martyn.

you should get better image quality with the 100ed but as Rog says the FOV will be considerably less.

I think the 100ed is f9 and the colour correction will be good.

The Sentinal I used once was well corrected but nowhere near as good as the 80ed I also had access to.

Ian

I think the only difference between the gold and the blue was the colour, both had Crayfords and looked identical. Skywatcher just needed to make it easy distinguish between the achro and apo lines. They did claim that the gold went through extra QC checks and put the price up by £30 or so on the back of this but.... ;)

That ad is seriously wrong.

don't buy it if you think you're getting an Apo, stick with the Sentinel.

Ian

Thanks Ian I am with you on this one in fact thanks every body who has commented on this I will not bother with this particular deal

Archived