Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Edge banding on Skywatcher dob mounts

Warped Drive

I am thinking of doing a mod to the base of my Heritage 130p to improve my setting circle set up. I am going to to make a new ground board that will be round and slightly larger maybe 360-370mm instead of the 320mm of the existing rocker base so I can install adjustable feet for levelling. I will also make a new rocker base as I want to cut a 30-40mm hole to be able to see the new adjustable azimuth circle I am going to make also I want to keep the original parts in tact should I ever want to sell it. I am going to use white Melamine the same as the existing stuff but I would like to edge band it so it all matches so far I can't seem to find any edge banding that has that rounded profile and I was wondering if anyone on here had come across it any where?

Not sure about Melamine edging that is rounded but there is rounded wood edging, I have a length of oak waiting to be used.

Think I bought it in a local supplier not a national one, and not sure if you have Wicks over in Dublin, half expect you do or one similar.

They are often in the beading section of the places bit Wicks, Homebase and B&Q.

Can't help with a supplier in EU, but here in US that sort of stuff can be purchased at a kitchen cabinet making shop.

Just a thought for the shape of your cut-out.  Here's how I do mine.  I just use plywood, but the concept is the same...post-38191-0-97895900-1437653358_thumb.j

post-38191-0-59925500-1437653387_thumb.j

Absolutely brilliant !!!  That is the very stuff I was thinking of, thank you very much 8kids. I cant find a width on the tongue but I suspect it would be about  1/8" same as a standard saw blade. I can make a jig up and do the groove on the table saw.

Lowjiber I like that design very much. I especially like your azimuth scale, nice and clear and big, the one I printed up and used on mine is a bit hard to see in the dark under red light.  I lke the way you have mounted the OTA too, I didn't know you could fit two dovetail bars on to a set of rings or did you mod that yourself.

That is a little 6" (f/5) XLT 150mm scope that I had setting around. Fortunately, I had the rings already. I just wanted a Dob mount that had roller bearing azimuth, setting circle, leveling feet, and a clutch for the altitude.

Those are not dovetails. I removed the original dovetail and replaced it with identical straps of iron. The trunions are plumbing pipe parts.

Below are a few pics.

Regarding the circle. I've built several from that pattern, as it's very accurate. I have it as a .PDF and simply take it (on a thumbdrive)

to my local office supply store where they have the equipment to shrink or expand it to the diameter I need.

After adjusting at the print shop, I have them print it on card stock and laminate both sides.

The last file attached is the file. The next-to-last pic is another circle that uses the same PDF... shrunk down.

Here are the pics... I have more.

post-38191-0-81674000-1437750747_thumb.j

post-38191-0-95339500-1437750763_thumb.j

post-38191-0-51787300-1437750784_thumb.j

post-38191-0-81565500-1437750815_thumb.j

post-38191-0-37129300-1437750849_thumb.j

post-38191-0-63478400-1437750876_thumb.j

post-38191-0-89031400-1437751059_thumb.j

HaloSettingCircle-black.pdf

Thank you very much Lowjiber, that has given me a lot of food for thought, there is 8" OTA with the rings,on a local version of Craigs List  for not too much money might be  ok for a first time full dob base build project.  It is an F4.7 so it might be a bit fast for visual observing.

Your levelling feet have also inspired me, I was going to get over complicated, I suppose the rule is keep it sweet and simple. Are they steel bar that you have drilled and tapped?

Yes. I actually bought three of these. They're made for wood working clamps and have large feet that swivel with the surface. I used the same metal strapping that I used for the trunion assembly... drilled and tapped.

http://www.rockler.com/large-toggle-clamp-foot

They were a bit long, so I just cut the shafts off.

The stainless steel collars on the trunions serve two purposes. First, they keep the trunions smoothly against the base. Secondly, and most important, they serve to give the clutch assembly something very smooth to press against.

If you want more detailed pictures, send me your email address. I'll be glad to pull the rig apart and provide additional information. We DIY'ers need to stick together. LOL

Clear, Dark Skies

Cheers Lowjiber, thanks once again. As it happens I have a couple  similar pipe fittings by a company called Key Clamp also ( Kee Klamp) that where left over by the staging company who previously occupied our warehouse ( now our landlord). they are used to make public railings and safety barriers and that company used them as the base structure for their stages. They take a 2" ( 50mm) pipe and lock it in place via an 8mm hex grub screw, good for several tons seemingly. I could do the same as you and grind of two sides and bolt or weld them to a flat steel bar like yours. The one problem might be the collar where the pipe inserts is about 3" deep this might make the rocker box very wide. Finding a similar collar / bushing that you have used for your clutch might be a bit harder.

post-44376-0-47694900-1437831966.jpg

Ok not  so hard to find those set screw collars but pricey on this side of the pond €20 for zinc plated 50mm bore and €30+ for the same in stainless steel, they are only $9-$10 on the US. sites unfortunately the P&P would probably make the just as, if not more expensive. I have a friend who works in a large scrape dealers, might ask him to keep an eye out for anything that may have some on it.

I'll agree that the collars may be tough to find. Here's where I ordered mine in the US. I'm providing the link to help you figure out where in the EU might carry such things.

https://www.fastenal.com/products/shaft-collars?term=collars&r=%20~|categoryl1:%22603582%20Power%20Transmission%209and%20Motors%22|~%20~|categoryl2:%22608501%20Collars,%20Couplings%209and%20Components%22|~%20~|categoryl3:%22603515%20Shaft%20Collars%22|~

I have managed to locate the same type of fitting you are using a "Threaded Floor Flange" but the only ones readily available here seem to be 1/2" and 3/4" and from the photos I take it yours are at least 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" . I will have search a bit more and probably get them from the UK.

Archived