Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Replacing no-name EPs

I have two scopes, an ETX-125 which is f/15 and an OrionOptics UK 8" newtonian which is f/6.

I have some eyepieces but am considering replacing the no-name ones I got with my scopes.  

I already have a Celestron Ultima 7.5mm Plossl and a Meade 26mm SuperPlossl.  I have a 25mm no-name and a 10mm no-name.  I intend to observe planets and the moon to start but move on to try to grab a view of DSO   I also have a Celestron Omni Barlow x2.

I am thinking about replacing the 10mm no-name with either a 10mm or 12mm Meade Series 5000 HD-60 or similar and also getting something like a 32mm-40mm  EP for more DSO.  Am willing to spend around £100 ish on each.  I eventually want to do astrophotography but want to do baby steps in learning first; finding my way around and going 'wow!' a lot :)

First - do you think my idea of a Meade Series 5000 HD-60 is a good one?  

Second - do I have to worry about the speed of the scopes when buying?

Ta!

Adam

The Meade eyepieces should be fine in the ETX as it is a "slow" scope.

I have the 105 and use the BST Straguiders on it.

You have to worry about the speed of the scope to the extent that having a long focal length you will need long focal length eyepieces, I would half expect the 7.5mm you have to be suppling a little too much magnification, or it is close to the limit.

An 18mm eyepiece will give 100x if your numbers are correct,

Being f/15 I would start at that, a 15mm eyepiece.

Using the BST's as a reference (most familiar with them) the 12mm for higher power, 15mm, 18mm and the 25mm.

Their 5mm is too much and the 8mm will be a rarely used item.

OOPS, just read that there is a newtonian involved, I only saw the ETX. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

8" f/6 would mean that the other BST focal lengths are all useable, thinking the 5mm and 8mm here.

So would the X-Cels, the TV plossls would preform well but they stop at 8mm.

So in effect that scope enables eyepieces of "shorter" focal lengths to be used in it and the longer focal lengths would be OK in either scope.

Few ranges seem to have a 6mm in their lineup and the 6mm WO planetary gets good reviews that may be a good option for the Orion as it conveniently gives 200x.

I had most of the Meade Series 5000 ranges, SWA UWA and Super Plossl made by JOC in China, all of these performed well in my F10 scope and would in your longer one. As for the HD 60 5000's I am not so sure, these were I believe made elsewhere and some of Meades later 5K ranges were not as good as early ones, I also feel they were not very popular which sometimes tells it's own story.

BST seem to deliver a big punch for the outlay but I have never tested any, however so many people liking them must say something about them. Your Newtonian is not that fast at F6 so it will be kinder on eyepieces than my F4.3 which destroys anything but the best.

Alan.

Thanks for the info!  Based on the answers and a bit of sneaking looking at sigs I have just ordered a 12mm BST Explorer from "Skys the Limit" on ebay.  I'll be interested to see just what a difference it will make compared to the no-name plossl I have!  Once that's done I may invest further in that range.

Though I have a hankering for a decent moon filter.  I bought a Celestron one but it was complete and utter pants - it appears to be made of polypropylene and just would not screw into the eyepiece barrel.  :)

Thanks for the info!  Based on the answers and a bit of sneaking looking at sigs I have just ordered a 12mm BST Explorer from "Skys the Limit" on ebay.  I'll be interested to see just what a difference it will make compared to the no-name plossl I have!  Once that's done I may invest further in that range.

Though I have a hankering for a decent moon filter.  I bought a Celestron one but it was complete and utter pants - it appears to be made of polypropylene and just would not screw into the eyepiece barrel.   :)

I ordered the 8mm for my 8" f/6........the rest followed :cool:

With a 60° fov,  good eye-relief,  fairly flat field of view,  affordable price, the 12mm will be a great EP on your 8" Newtonian...... Good decision........good choice!

I'd not be in a hurry to replace your Ultima 7.5mm eyepiece (unless you can't handle the short eye relief) or the 26mm Meade plossl as these are going to be quite hard to beat in your ETX and your F/6 dobsonian. The 10mm no name can easily improved on as per the suggestions above. You 25mm "no name" is replaced by your 26mm Meade plossl I'd have thought.

Hi John,

Yes that was my thought.  I'll keep the 26mm Meade Superplossl and just replace the 10mm no-name with the 12mm BST, with the no-name 25mm plossl kept in the box for emergencies.  :) There isn't that much eye relief on the Ultima but it will do for now until I find my feet.  IIRC I will need low magnification for the DSOs so perhaps a 32mm or slightly larger in the future.  I think the barlow I have will give me an OK spread at this time at 6/7.5/12/13/26.  

Next: hunt down Alan (anyone know his username here?) to discuss a decent moon filter.  :D

Adam

Optically speaking, the Ultima eyepieces are really good. They at least equal a Tele Vue plossl in my opinion. They used a 5 element optical design made skillfully in Japan by a quality optical company on behalf of Celestron and a few other brands. They don't tend to fetch much on the used market but don't let that fool you re: their optical pedigree.

Celestron Ultima are offspring of the famous Masuyama design 5 element erfles/plossls.Optically in slow-ish scopes (F6 and down) these are stunning eye pieces and it would be crazy to sell it.Ultimas are now actually sort of collectibles.Eye relief might be an issue on shorter focal length ones,but optically you cant fault them.If you tend to stick to plossls,i would suggest to carry on with the Ultima series if you can actually find any.Time to time they do pop up on used market.

Archived