Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Restored Faith...

Patbloke

Last night I gave the little 80mm Opticstar a run out on my Celestron Nexstar SE Goto Mount which I bought pre loved off the classifieds on this forum.  I managed a good couple of hours which has restored my faith in this hobby especially following the previous nights disaster at a supposed dark site (local garden centre car park) where I was trying to be quiet and set my car alarm off, dropped my metal EP holding ring onto the concrete and succeeded in waking the local dog community... and then to top it all my Goto developed a filter fault (whatever that is)

Anyway, after a seamless alignment of the SE mount, I began the session - Thanks for the tip Nick for creating a target list prior to going outside... this gave me a purpose and targets which I knew I would have some chance of bagging during the session. I worked my way through M3, M13, M92, M71, M56 and M11... although I realised that for my next session I should voice record what I see, and what I think of each target (as I believe I saw all of those) Most of the clusters did appear as small fuzzies to start with but keeping in mind how badly light polluted my place is, it was still a miracle and pleasing to find the targets.

I have been waiting some time to start an unhealthy obsession with double stars and Alberio will be the catalyst for this as it was gorgeous - very clear colours and as pin sharp as sharp things on international sharp day (night)... 

As usual the double cluster looked great, as did the Kite and Coathanger... what I also did was to press the info button on each target on the Goto... its high time I learned a bit about these targets! The Nexstar system provides a wealth of info which I have never bothered with before.

The Celestron SE mount was very quiet on slewing, and makes a great little grab and go set up, I'm very pleased with it. I also tried out a nice little rifle finder which allowed me to change from red dot to cross in the finder, very pleasing. Oh and I gave a little padded swivel bar stool a try (£17) what a great little seat...

All in all a good session which has given me encouragement to take the EQ3-2 with the Skywatcher 127 Mak out next time,to compare... I might also take the Altair StarWave 102 which is my new fav scope... just in case I stop out all night!

I am glad you had a nice time and this has restored your interest! Nice list of targets in succession! Lovely doubles in Lyra, Cassiopeia well worth being observed too! :) 

Good luck! 

So making the most of my renewed enthusiasm for this wonderful hobby I decided to give the 127Mak on the EQ3-2 GOTO tonight...

After a bit of time familiarising myself with the Synscan system and mount I proceed to set up by the car in the car park round the back from my flat... The EQ3-2 motors whine sweetly in the evening air...

I wanted to find a few more doubles and had my 'to do' list in hand... Although the system said aligned successful I had difficulty finding my first few objects so decided to re align and live the dream...

Ya got to go to Arcturus for your first alignment star haven't you.... Ooo hello where did that cloud come from! Game over, all gear stowed, hot drinks and snacks and I am now sat here thinking, do I really love this hobby? Roll on those winter nights dark nice and early....

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

I saw the title and thought I would mention the first good session I have had since February / March, 5-months ago

The 8" dob was set-up outside early to cool down,

It was checked at 12 midnight, and there was patchy cloud everywhere.

The forecast on "Clear Outside" said it was going to be good, so I went in to put the kettle on.

10-minutes later it was crystal clear near Zenith, with thick low cloud on the horizon.

An hour spent with the easy ones was well worth it => Andromeda / Hercules cluster / double cluster / ring and dumbell.

After 5-months in the wilderness - my faith has been restored also.

Archived