SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Lodestar X2 Mono Help

hadyn42

Hello Guys

Please could you help me with my setup?

I have got a X2 Mono camera and I am hoping to do some video astronomy. I have a Heq5 pro and a SW ED80 refractor. Do I remove the diagonal and fit in the X2 camera, or do I need an 80mm extension tube like I use with my PD1 camera please?

I have just downloaded  "LodestarLive" version 12.

Best regards,

Hadyn - Isle of Man.

PS  Kerry if you are reading this, I have still not used the camera in anger as yet. And also did you manage sort out any of your USA pictures as yet?

Hi Hadyn,

You will almost certainly need an extension tube or you won't reach focus... the draw tube is just not long enough on the ED 80 to compensate for the focal distance lost when you remove the diagonal.

I get away with a 50mm extension with my DSLR but you may need a little more for the X2 as it has a lot less depth from the front face to the sensor...My Nikon has 46.5 mm sensor depth but the X2 is around 17 - 19mm I believe.

Clear skies.

Sandy. :grin:

Hi Hadyn,

Sandy is correct. The sensor in the Lodestar is only 12.5mm from the front, but you could also use a nosepiece extension that will help your situation and will also allow for 1.25" filters. With the refractor, I would recommend an astro UV/IR filter to cut down on star bloat. The best nosepiece is one that has a smooth barrel with no flange.

Don

Hello Don and Sandy

Thank you both very much indeed for coming back with some info to my question...

Please could you possibly send me a UK  link as to where I could possibly buy the two pieces of kit needed, the UV/IR Filter and the Nosepiece you mentioned?

Kindest regards,

Hadyn -  IOM

As I also found out with ed80, extension tube needed - although I made do with spare parts I had -the 2" tube from skywatcher newt and a 1.25" centering adapter by Orion, I'll post a pic when get a mo, may save some cash ....

Good tip on uv filter as I got lots star bloat

I'll give you guys a tip on another filter that does wonders on star bloat and light pollution. It's a narrow band Ha filter. It works best with a mono cam, but will work with color too. It only works on emission nebulae, but there are a lot of them out there. It will work wonders with your 80mm scopes. Here's a link to my gallery of captures using the NB Ha filter on a Lodestar X2. Some of them are with 80mm scopes. One downside is that the filter is a bit expensive. The Orion 7nm is about $175 US.

http://stargazerslounge.com/gallery/album/3415-narrowband-ha-and-lodestar/

Don

Hi,

I found using a diagonal makes it less likely my camera hits the tripod leg when slewing to overhead objects. I've done both, don't see any difference except image orientation.

Richard

Hello All.

Thank you all for your input into my question.

Just to say that I have now ordered the nosepiece and a Ha7n Baaeder 1.25" filter to go with my Lodestar X2 Mono camera and my ED80 refractor.

Best regards,

Hadyn - Isle of Man

Archived