NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IC1396 - Elephants trunk in HST

swag72

As I find myself with a camera I don't enjoy, I have taken to reprocessing some older data that I was never happy with.  

This data is easily two years old and so I felt that perhaps if my processing techniques have moved on it will come out better..... The original of this image was also the first ever Hubble palette that I ever did. 

I welcome comments good and bad about the processing - Can't do much with the data capture on this now! :D

Details
M: HEQ5
S: Pentax 75SDHF
C: Atik 314L+ Baader narrowband filters

11 hours of total exposures

11x1500s in Ha, OIII and SII

get.jpg

It's very nice Sara with natural processing & not over saturated, trunk central and upright, framed to draw the eye.

I've found when processing this target recently, that it's tempting to overdo the contrast in an attempt to separate the trunk and its billowing dust clouds from the background.  Little by little of course the image processing slowly drifts from ideal.  You've resisted that to its benefit.

It's also a great comparison to your currrent optics, filters, focus etc and the perspective of time reinforces the progress one makes in overall technique, from capture to processing.

Barry

Thanks both for looking and commenting.

You're right Barry, it is interesting to go back to data that was captured on very different equipment and see how they process differently. I can say that my current set-up gives me an easier time of processing. but there's little data here compared to what I would use today. I mat give this one another try with new data at some stage :)

Archived