Newbie with Celestron Spymaster 25x100 binoculars. What will I see ?

Hello and welcome to SGL. Binoculars are not generally used for imaging purposes so finding images of planets may be difficult. Also, imaging and visual astronomy are different animals, images of planets etc tend to look totally different to looking at a planet through an eyepiece or binoculars. I suggest that you invest in a study tripod. 25x100 binoculars are big and heavy and to get the best out of them they need to be supported on a tripod.

You cannot image with binoculars and at 25x the magnification is not really sufficent for imaging purposes.

The main objects to see will be globular and open clusters, planets are visible but they will be small disks, no details as such.

If Jupiter were around you would see a small bright disk with up to 4 dots around it.

You will be able to split some double stars, Mizer/Alcor being the obvious, not sure Albireo will split - are you hand holding or on a tripod?

There are lists of binocular objects, suggest that you dig one out. That way you will have an idea of what you can manage and a list or several of things to go out and locate.

Planets will just appear as bright dots. Look for asterisms like the Coathanger, galaxies like Andromeda and star clusters like the Beehive, Pleiades, and double cluster in Hercules. Nebulae like Orion will appear a bright smudges. Hth :)

Thanks for all the advice on the images and binoculars front. Was not really fussed about taking photos myself was just hoping for a sneak preview as I had seen a chap on YouTube photographing a bird through his binoculars.

I am kind of hoping to see the rings of Saturn through my binos. I have also ordered a horizon heavy duty tripod with them.

Thanks again.

It is amazing what you can see in binoculars this size, but a support mechanism of some sort is essential.

As said previously Andromeda and maybe M33 and quite a few cluster at a dark site would be possible, good luck and happy observing.

At 25x mag you'll see Jupiters 4 main moons strung out in a line - Saturn though will just look a bit of an oval shape. For surface detail like rings and banding you'd need to start with magnifications around 120x to 130x - and that's a scope really. But your new bins will be great for a lot of low mag wide field stuff - there's plenty of it up there. :)

I've owned a pair of 25x100 binoculars. You will need a tall and very stable tripod to mount them on - they are huge, long and very heavy. Far too much to hold stable with your arms even for the shortest period.

The planets look rather as branuk suggests but only with the binoculars on a sturdy tripod. They are better suited to observing the larger brighter deep sky objects such as the Andromeda galaxy and the double star cluster in Perseus. The rich starfields of Cygnus look lovely as well. You can see quite a few other deep sky objects with them if you know where to look.

Welcome to SGL.  :hello2:

Fair enough the rings of Saturn might be a bit of a tall order. But will I be able to see what the crew of the international space station are having for dinner.
Cheers people

"No!"  :bino2: ...but you will see what the birds are having for 'their' dinner!  :happy1:  :duckie: :duckie:      

I've owned a pair of 25x100 binoculars. You will need a tall and very stable tripod to mount them on - they are huge, long and very heavy. Far too much to hold stable with your arms even for the shortest period.

The planets look rather as branuk suggests but only with the binoculars on a sturdy tripod. They are better suited to observing the larger brighter deep sky objects such as the Andromeda galaxy and the double star cluster in Perseus. The rich starfields of Cygnus look lovely as well. You can see quite a few other deep sky objects with them if you know where to look.

Totally agree with this, a tripod is a must with this size of binoculars. Think for them as two refractors bolted together.

Also look at binocularsky.com a great site for binocular obeservers with a very good free monthly newsletter. Ian's book is very good too.

Archived