NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help on buying my first refractor

Evening everyone. I would like to buy a refractor for the main purpose of viewing the planets, and also taking some photos of them, but this is where I am getting a little frustrated as I would also like the scope to be able to manage the brighter deep sky objects for photography also. Any help and suggestions would be much appreciated.

£150 won't go very far in terms of deep sky and planetary observing + imaging (especially if you need a tripod as well). I'm not a great help but have you considered a pair of binoculars - that's where I started.

I would say this is about the nearest you are going to get and be happy with   http://www.firstlightoptics.com/evostar/skywatcher-evostar-90-eq3-2.html

it will show the planets and allow you to take some basic images, should also show some of the brighter deep sky objects

Im looking at around the 1500 mark for a scope and mount. Maybe upto 2000 . Heard a lot about the bresser 125/1200.

I'd suggest a decent refractor on an HEQ5 then you have some money left for a decent camera too. If you're wanting the brighter DSOs like M42 and M31 you'll be wanting a short tube frac as they are MASSIVE in the sky compared to planets. Planetary and DSO imaging with the same scope is a hard one

Cam

Im looking at around the 1500 mark for a scope and mount. Maybe upto 2000 . Heard a lot about the bresser  125/1200.

disregard post 8 from myself, with this budget look for an Evostar 120ED pro and an HEQ5 syntrek mount

If you find the 120 too big the 100 also has a great reputation. Though more aperture is better for visual :grin:  If you can check them out at a retailer or go along to a meet of your local astro group, and see what others have.

Archived