NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I want to learn

No I got it of Gumtree not expensive but when I got home with it and started to look more carefully at it I noticed a repair on the inline sight where it had been superglued but I did manage to find the moon last night after taking it to bits apart from the small minors at the front I toulk the rear of very steady and noticed flakes are missing on the edge of it I cleaned it up and put it back together.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

First is put a location in your signature. You have nothing, so that people can suggest where to go. We have people from Hawaii and Tasmania on here, so a clue to where you are helps. People can read Loughborough here but not the next time you ask.

I guess the inline sight is the finder, that can be replaced, the present one may work fine.

Having a finder on the scope means little, you still have to align it to the main scope. Having one attached does not mean it is aligned, it just means that it is there for you to align.

Sounds like you have taken the mirrors out, off or at least loosened them.

It will therefore now be out of collimation, likely a long way out.

The next question is how much have you tightened them? Too much and the mirror will be pinched, and it takes not a lot to pinch the mirror. Strange but I think the "rule" is tighten it such that the mirror is not quite touched.

What flakes refer to I cannot say, but it is the mirror surface that is important, if the surface is undamaged then to an extent the rest is cosmetic.

You will likely need to locate a club who will or are holding a sort of "Help" night, some clubs have these when people bring their scopes along for the problems to be sorted out. That I suspect would be the best option.

Slight catch may be that at this time of year many clubs will have no meetings for a couple of months, short nights and people on holiday.

Hi MrIW and welcome to SGL :)

Click the EMS link in my signature and you will find East Midlands Stargazers home page. It's a great local group for meeting other amateur astronomers, and they have an observing site at Wymsewold just down the road from you.  We meet up regularly through the winter months for observing sessions, talks, and practical workshops, and we hold an annual star party usually somewhere on the east coast.

You'll find them a very helpful and welcoming group - hope to meet you soon. :)

No I got it of Gumtree not expensive but when I got home with it and started to look more carefully at it I noticed a repair on the inline sight where it had been superglued but I did manage to find the moon last night after taking it to bits apart from the small minors at the front I toulk the rear of very steady and noticed flakes are missing on the edge of it I cleaned it up and put it back together.

If you are new to astronomy and telescopes and you have already took the scope you bought to pieces..................I hope you didnt pay much as it is now probably now well of out collimation and may not be an easy fix for you.

What kind of scope is it? (I'm assuming a reflector), how much did you pay for it?.

Worse case scenario............if you had to buy a new scope, what kind of budget do you have?.

If you are new to astronomy and telescopes and you have already took the scope you bought to pieces..................I hope you didnt pay much as it is now probably now well of out collimation and may not be an easy fix for you.

What kind of scope is it? (I'm assuming a reflector), how much did you pay for it?.

Worse case scenario............if you had to buy a new scope, what kind of budget do you have?.

It was only cheep thanks for asking not going to get it fixed

Does your scope have a curved mirror at the back (reflector) or does it have lens at the front and you view at the back (refractor)? Knowing the difference will help people on SGL give better advice. You have already disassembled the scope which makes it likely that the optics are now misaligned (this can be fixed). However other possibilities could be:

- Telescope not in focus (turn focus wheel)

- Telescope not able to reach focus (need to attach extension or alter the focus tube)

- Optics out of alignment, as mentioned (align the optics , see other threads/youtube to do this)

- Very dirty optics (see threads/youtube)

- Damaged optics (get new scope).

Archived