Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Moon with an iPhone 5

Magrene

Good morning everyone. Here is a few images of the moon I took using my Orion xt8 and my iPhone 5. The more magnified one is at 190x while the less magnified is at 48x. The higher power one is my first ever picture through a telescope. Thanks for reading and seeing my pictures :D

post-44380-0-18645000-1434973458_thumb.j

post-44380-0-39670700-1434973580_thumb.j

I am very surprised with the sort of images I am getting with my iPhone. The one thing I would like to get a nice image of is Jupiter. I will prob try tonight but will have to do a whole lot of image processing as it makes Jupiter into a white ball and all of the clouds that are visible are not seen. Was thinking about getting a cheap mount since I have been holding it up to the eyepiece... Which needless to say is not ideal. I have a question any tips as to what deep sky objects to look for I would love to see a globular cluster. My southern sky is the Atlantic ocean so preferably in that direction. I've been scanning with a 25mm eyepiece and have yet to spot anything other then stars and planets.

I am very surprised with the sort of images I am getting with my iPhone. The one thing I would like to get a nice image of is Jupiter. I will prob try tonight but will have to do a whole lot of image processing as it makes Jupiter into a white ball and all of the clouds that are visible are not seen. Was thinking about getting a cheap mount since I have been holding it up to the eyepiece... Which needless to say is not ideal. I have a question any tips as to what deep sky objects to look for I would love to see a globular cluster. My southern sky is the Atlantic ocean so preferably in that direction. I've been scanning with a 25mm eyepiece and have yet to spot anything other then stars and planets.

M13 in Hercules should be ideally placed, a real show stopper and easy to find.

They are really good, use the widest eyepiece fiirst before going higher in magnification. So yes if you have a 10mm & 25mm . M13  would be a great target for you.

Will it look like a star with the 25mm or does it look distinctly different. When I was scanning last night I was seeing only what looked like stars to me. I don't recall the name of what it was I was searching for. But starwalk on the iPhone there was apparently on object to the left above Saturn I don't recall what its name was and I spent a good 30 mins scanning for it and couldnt find it. So what would it look like at 25mm is it distinct?

To the left and above Saturn was probably M10 or M12. These globulars along with M13 will definitely look non star like in your 25mm eyepiece.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Yeah well I will hopefully be going out tonight. Although its been very humid lately so I think that has been hurting my observing as I noticed last night when looking at Jupiter my 6.2mm fogged up

Archived